Emma Sea's Reviews > Captive Humans: True Crime Cases of People Held Captive

Captive Humans by David Phoebe

did not like it
bookshelves: dnf, the-shelf-gr-would-delete, paperback, i-own-it

ETA #3: Please read comment #54

ETA: The author chimed in on the comments for this review. As LenaLena points out, "Good thing GR has all those rules in place to make sure we readers don't harass the poor author, who is obviously a much maligned victim of vicious, hyperbolic reviewers like you, Emma."

ETA #2: I definitely appreciate the support I would be happier if people didn't 1-star the book on my account. Unless you've read it and didn't like it, of course.

I think the author is brand new to social media, and it was one of those "Fuck, why did I say that?!" moments that we've all had. Or I have had, at least. *particularly sharp moment of regret for one night in 1996 made me close my eyes for a second, there* ETA: Ah, no. Apparently not.

Original review below:

Couldn't read it. So sad. Quite upsetting. Quit at page 53.

Very basic writing, and very poorly edited: "laundry mat"

I'll tell you what the final straw was:(view spoiler)

When the society you live in is as demeaning to you as the asshole who kept you captive, I don't know where you find the strength to go on living. Had I continued to read this book, I would have struggled to find mine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captive Humans.

September 24, 2013 – Shelved
September 24, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
September 24, 2013 – Shelved as: non-fiction-to-read
October 18, 2013 – Started Reading
October 18, 2013 –
page 35
13.57% ""His alcoholic mother . . . married five times, twice to African-American men."\n \n 0_o say what now?"
October 18, 2013 –
page 45
October 18, 2013 – Shelved as: dnf
October 19, 2013 – Finished Reading
November 1, 2013 – Shelved as: the-shelf-gr-would-delete
November 1, 2013 – Shelved as: paperback
November 1, 2013 – Shelved as: i-own-it

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)

message 1: by Eve (new) - added it

Eve Looks interesting!

message 2: by Ery (new)

Ery No way Jose- I can't handle real life sadness.

message 3: by Vio (new) - added it

Vio :( Emma pick a nice fanfic!

Emma Sea Yes, I do need something fluffy. Am crying and watching The Bionic Woman. I didn't remember how whiny and annoying she had been written.

message 5: by Vio (new) - added it

Vio Sea wrote: "Yes, I do need something fluffy. Am crying and watching The Bionic Woman. I didn't remember how whiny and annoying she had been written."

Its been so long I can't remember what she was like. A cute and feel good story is what you need.

Kynthos-the-Archer (Kyn) That's a brave attempt.

message 7: by Leah (new)

Leah Watch Ouran High School Host Club on YouTube .....if only to laugh at the yaoi archetypes and to fall in love with Honey sempai

message 8: by Eve (new) - added it

Eve David, it's pretty clear to me that the reviewer is calling this killer a slimeball, not accusing you of having called him that.

message 9: by Emma Sea (last edited Nov 01, 2013 01:25PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Emma Sea David, I'm confused why you are so aggressive about my review. You will see that I have not rated it. This is because I didn't feel it was a bad book, just that it wasn't my kind of book.

I did actually pay for your book. I am your customer. Here is my order from BookDepository:

And here is my copy of the book against today's news.

Yeah, the slimeball thing, that's clearly my words, David, I'm describing why I did not wish to continue with the book. It was because of the content, dude, the subject matter. Not because of anything you had done as a writer. Which is why I did not rate the book negatively.

In fact, you could have taken that as a compliment. I felt for the experiences of those women so much, your sparse, matter-of-fact writing had communicated their situation to me so well, that I could not continue reading.

In no way is this a hyperbolic review. I'd like an apology for your tone, David.

Emma Sea Awesome, thanks. I feel so much better now. What a delightful author you have been to chat with. I will certainly be looking forward to your next book. I can see you have really nailed the intricacies of Goodreads author/reader interaction, honed by your long time as a member on the site.

/sarcasm font

message 11: by MLE (new)

MLE  Flag time.

message 12: by Fangtasia (new)

Fangtasia Precisely, MLE. And GR keeps censoring us readers/reviewers. They most definitely are pointing their guns in the wrong direction.

message 14: by MLE (new)

MLE  Emma Sea wrote: "I have been a bad person and one-starred it after all. I did not enjoy it, and I now have no reason to restrain myself."

Sorry, that is some truly unprofessional behavior.

message 15: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena Good thing GR has all those rules in place to make sure we readers don't harass the poor author, who is obviously a much maligned victim of vicious, hyperbolic reviewers like you, Emma.

Emma Sea Imagine how upsetting it would be for David to end up on someone's Badly Behaving Author shelf. We can't have that. No siree.

message 17: by MLE (new)

MLE  Emma Sea wrote: "Imagine how upsetting it would be for David to end up on someone's Badly Behaving Author shelf. We can't have that. No siree."

How tragic would that be.

message 18: by Leah (new)

Leah ...interesting....and more evidence that you're a GREAT and conscientious reader/reviewer. PLEASE keep writing candid, insightful reviews Emma and IGNORE the hostile comments from pissy authors.

Imagine how much better his next book would've been if this exchange were different, if he was receptive to critique...how many other readers he might've potentially attracted by respecting your synopsis and patronage....

message 19: by Eve (new) - added it

Eve David wrote: "Oh...Gary Heidnik. He was an unsavory character. Let's hope we see less of his kind in the future.

To Emma Sea...One of my reviewers said, "This is the most depressing book I have ever read." Exac..."

Wow, self important fluffing, and still no apology. Maybe, David, you could offer to refund Emma's $13.82 instead...

message 20: by Fangtasia (new)

Fangtasia Leah wrote: "...interesting....and more evidence that you're a GREAT and conscientious reader/reviewer. PLEASE keep writing candid, insightful reviews Emma and IGNORE the hostile comments from pissy authors.

..."

Ditto.

Emma Sea aw, you guyyyyyyz *all bashful now*

message 22: by Emma Sea (last edited Nov 03, 2013 02:30PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Emma Sea Well, author David has deleted his comments.

Here's the original comment:

"Hi, as the writer, thanks for pointing out the typo of "laundry mat". Opps [sic]. Will fix that. Ebooks and modern times.

I wish you got further than Katie Beers, the book tells some quite remarkable stories, well beyond where you quit.

As the author, I have no idea what you are talking about. You acquired Captive Humans on a FREE promo for Amazon. I gave away over 1,600 ebooks that day. Captive Humans became number 1 in true crime. It is still bouncing around the best seller lists on Amazon for Criminology.

Your review is just hyperbole, I never even said half the things you are accusing me of saying. "Slimeball" is not a word I would ever use, but it is one of yours."

(screencap available but not showing for some reason *coughGRcough*)

Foolishly I did not screencap the reply comment, in which I did not get an apology, but instead got told to basically stop reading if the book bothered me. Which I had done. As I mentioned in the review. And which confused me, as I thought his point in the first comment was that I should not have stopped reading.

David, should you read this, your behavior is not especially heinous, but you lack an understanding of Goodreads' recent history. New authors jumping online and thoughtlessly criticizing readers' reviews, and readers suffering the consequences (!), is exactly why Goodreads has become a hollow shell of the vibrant community it once was.

I mourn the exiles.

Karma♥Bites ^.~ WTF do ebooks & modern times have to do w/ typos? Think that they've been around since writing came into existence? Erm... FAIL!

*sigh*

message 24: by Eve (new) - added it

Eve Emma Sea wrote: "Well, author David has deleted his comments."

When you've insulted someone and then realized you were in the wrong, you can either offer a gracious apology or choose to slink away in silence. I think David's choice says a lot about him.

Emma Sea In David's defense, if he reconsidered and now wanted to apologize, it's too late because I blocked him. Life is too short for me to feel bad because of his knee-jerk reaction. He's a GR baby, so I'll cut him some slack, but that second comment? He just has no clue.

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies Wow, what an asshat. Good to know, I'll be spreading the word. SMH. When is it ever ok to criticize a paying customer? Jesus.

message 27: by Julio (new)

Julio Genao *gazes at un-deployed trebuchet in shame*

I had one job. One job.

Emma Sea He bloody well tried to pick on me, Julio! we needed you and your well-lubricated machine of terror.

message 29: by Julio (new)

Julio Genao My failure is complete and utter.

I went out drinking. Am still drunk. Have dishonored my ancestors.

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies julio wrote: "My failure is complete and utter.

I went out drinking. Am still drunk. Have dishonored my ancestors."

message 31: by Julio (new)

Julio Genao Eyes are lowered. No longer using pronouns. Must atone.

*grovels drunkenly*

Emma Sea Khanh wrote: "It's a good thing you're not Asian. Your shame would have been multiplied tenfold."

message 33: by Julio (new)

Julio Genao Not supposed to be laughing with my face in the dirt like this.

message 34: by Silver Thistle (last edited Nov 02, 2013 06:32AM) (new)

Silver Thistle A prime example of why I no longer review on GR.

Booklikes.com is VERY nice though :D

message 35: by Experiment BL626 (new)

Experiment BL626 Emma Sea wrote: "Khanh wrote: "It's a good thing you're not Asian. Your shame would have been multiplied tenfold."

"

I think GR is censoring again. I'm getting a "no photo" with a brown head avatar image.

Karma♥Bites ^.~ Nah, think that it's that https -vs- http thingy again. Thought fixed but I suddenly noticed same problem this morning.

message 37: by Kat (new) - rated it 1 star

Kat Emma Sea wrote: "Emma Sea I have been a bad person and one-starred it after all. I did not enjoy it, and I now have no reason to restrain myself. "

Don't feel bad. Goodreads' warm bath of author privileges awaits him.

Emma Sea Loederkoningin wrote: "Don't feel bad. Goodreads' warm bath of author privileges awaits him. "

Mmmmm, privilege bath. Almost as good as a treasure bath.

message 39: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (new)

♡Karlyn P♡ I wonder if the popup message to authors warning them NOT to respond to reviews even activated since you hadn't (at the time) rated it? I think that might be a bug for GR to fix.

message 40: by Emma Sea (last edited Nov 03, 2013 10:57AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Emma Sea ♡KarLynP♡ wrote: "I wonder if the popup message to authors warning them NOT to respond to reviews even activated since you hadn't (at the time) rated it? I think that might be a bug for GR to fix."

message 41: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (new)

♡Karlyn P♡ Emma Sea wrote: "I wondered that too. It should have done. I wrote "Squee!" on a new release listing once, with no rating, and the author got the "Deep breath" popup. "

Hmmm. So he probably did get the warning yet chose to ignore it? Yikes. That is quite the marketing and self promotion fail. Sorry to see him getting all the 1-stars, though. But GR has removed the BBA related shelves.

message 42: by Julio (new)

Julio Genao i'm pretty sure no rating equals zero stars, mathematically. any text at all in the review box is counted as a review—and when there's a review with no stars on one of my listed works, the ratings average goes down.

all that to say: that clownshoe author got the goodreads nanny warning.

Emma Sea So all that palaver about "don't rate a book if you didn't finish it" is actually counterproductive?

message 44: by Julio (new)

Julio Genao that's what it looks like. my author's discussion reviews drive me a little nuts because of the big fat zero stars they register.

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies Wait, so the author actually get a warning message if he or she chooses to reply to a review of his or her own book?

Emma Sea Khanh wrote: "Wait, so the author actually get a warning message if he or she chooses to reply to a review of his or her own book?"

Apparently you get a message to the effect of "Don't reply!" when someone low rates it (or, doesn't rate it).

I'll see if I can find the text of it somewhere

message 47: by Experiment BL626 (new)

Experiment BL626 Khanh wrote: "Wait, so the author actually get a warning message if he or she chooses to reply to a review of his or her own book?"

Yes. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUp2rQOCY...

message 48: by Julio (new)

Julio Genao thx, expy

message 49: by Julio (new)

Julio Genao oi, emma? wozzat in '96?

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies Experiment BL626 (Against GR Censorship) wrote: "Khanh wrote: "Wait, so the author actually get a warning message if he or she chooses to reply to a review of his or her own book?"

Yes. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUp2rQOCY..."

Loooool. I didn't know that they actually got a message when they tried to reply. It makes it even worse when the author tries to reply despite GoodCensor's pro-author policies.

« previous 1