Nasty Lady MJ's Reviews > Heavenly

Heavenly by Jennifer Laurens

did not like it
bookshelves: based-on-sample

No. Just no. From the five chapters I read, I noticed numerous grammatical errors and I just can't stand the main character. She is completely obnoxious and sanctimonious. Her little sister has autism, but instead of trying to adapt and deal with her struggles our bitch of a MC wants her put in a home because she can't stop texting enough to watch her. A freaking state ran home. She also judges her brother for smoking weed when she binge drinks. I also have vibes that this is heavy religion lit more than typical angel YA. After Halo, I don't really want to read anything going in this direction and based on the narration I got on the sample I read I don't think I'll be continuing further. That is why this book is rated one star.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heavenly.

September 24, 2013 – Shelved
September 24, 2013 – Shelved as: beets
September 24, 2013 – Shelved as: based-on-sample

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Amber (new)

Amber Wow this is some seriously hatefully designed literature. How is texting more righteous than being good to your sister who isn't as able as you? Fucks sake.

Nasty Lady MJ The best part is she's more obsessed with this instance love guy eyes who found her sister than finding her sister.

message 3: by Amber (new)

Amber Ridiculous. How can people write these sorts of things?

Nasty Lady MJ I have no idea. I sort of think she was trying to make it realistic since raising a special needs child is difficult. But God was the MC cruel.

message 5: by Tonina (new) - added it

Tonina Are...are you kidding? The MC wants to put her autistic sister in a freaking state-run home because she doesn't want to bother with her? And this character is supposed to be a sympathetic heroine in the eyes of the reader? Please say you're kidding. My child is autistic and if I add any more book/author/GR rage to what I'm already feeling from the review- and shelving-policy changes, I think my head's going to throb and burst open like the top of a thermometer in an old Looney Tunes cartoon.

Nasty Lady MJ Yep, there's literally a conversation where she rants about her sister. I'd understand some of the frustation, but the remark about the state home went way too far and there were no repercussions for it. Her brother just shrugged and went off to smoke some more pot and that was it. Plus, her actions were pretty deplorable. She'll only watch Abriva (yes, her sister is named after a cold sore medicine) if her mom pays her. I think there's supposed to be some big moralistic lesson in the book given that the MC is also a soap opera drunk, but after that remark and everything that I can't talk about due to TOS, I just couldn't continue.