Rebecca's Reviews > Very British Problems: Making Life Awkward for Ourselves, One Rainy Day at a Time

Very British Problems by Rob Temple

liked it
bookshelves: anglophiles-delight, reviewed-bookbag

A mildly amusing novelty book based on Temple’s @soverybritish Twitter account. I have long since been disabused of my initial notion that the British are actually polite robots that run on tea (though after eight years in the UK I am now as fond of a lovely cup of tea as any Brit), but his generalizations still prompted an occasional chuckle.

It may be that I expected too much from a book that is, essentially, a Christmas stocking stuffer. Whatever you do, do not (as I did) read it all the way through, beginning to end, in a few sittings. If you do, the rapid-fire Tweet style will soon grate. Instead, let serendipity guide you to those snippets that elicit a laugh.

The book’s combination of fondness and self-deprecation makes for a pleasant tone, though this has been done much better. Two of my favorite “finding the British” books are Brit-Think, Ameri-Think: A Transatlantic Survival Guide by Jane Walmsley and Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson.

(See my full review at The Bookbag.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Very British Problems.

September 24, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read