J.M. Guillen's Reviews > A Shadow in the Flames

A Shadow in the Flames by Michael G. Munz

20555516

Oh, Minions. This was a good one.

If nothing else, I am a connoisseur of words.
I love “Cacophony” for example. “Demesne," “Dulcet,” “Halcyon.” All favorites.

As I am, obviously, a genius, it makes sense that I have wonderful taste in words. Therefore, when I read the opening few pages of “A Shadow in The Flames” I suspect I’m reading something that will make me happy.

Michael Munz (also known as CODENAME: DARKPLUME) is one of those most rare of writers- an actual worldbuilder. With wonderfully creative names for places (the Dirge, the Flaming Pyre) as well as cool code names for characters, AND well done cyberpunk tropes, I was sucked right in.

Which of course, is why I hated it.

Where, Darkplume, did you get your wonderful ideas? From what dark well of creation did you pluck this brilliant story? What secret demonic names did you cry to wrest this tale from the nether?

It matters little. It's a wonderful story.

Bravo, Darkplume. You've won this round.

Watch your back, pal.

Our protagonist is a young man seeking his place in the world, and who seems to feel as if he has found it by taking a security/freelance course through a company named Aegis Security (Yep, another cool name). Of course, nothing really has worked out for him so far, but we scarcely get a grip on that before we are hurled face first into fiery explosions, fights with vampires, and mysterious discoveries on the moon! I haven’t even brought up enigmatic arsonists or the Arena, or the different kinds of cool tech.

See how that all sounds crazy? Vampires? Secrets on the Moon? NO. NOT CRAZY. Listen. It makes sense. It all meshes in a wonderful way.

Brilliant, sir.

There truly is a difference between writing and storytelling, and Darkplume knows both. He teases us with scenes that we know, KNOW must be related, but can't quite put together. The entire time, we watch a certain ticking time bomb of a character, waiting for the moment when the countdown hits zero.

Meanwhile, the Moon's terrible secret awaits.

Darkplume, I sincerely hope that you have the rest of the series coming soon. If you notice any Quantum drones in your vicinity, they are definitely not there to steal your DNA. There is no such thing as a "Creativity Siphon™"

I cannot recommend the book enough. It was a pleasure to read, and I hope that soon I will be immersed in this world again. I know exactly where I will start.

A Memory in the Black

Srsly

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Shadow in the Flames.

Finished Reading
September 23, 2013 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Julio (new) - added it

Julio Genao I have a word-nerd boner for both this book and your review as big as a

Nice review.