Alexa Mergen's Reviews > The Wisdom of Imperfection: The Challenge of Individuation in Buddhist Life

The Wisdom of Imperfection by Rob Preece

I purchased this book at Green Gulch Farm, a Zen retreat center, and read it in one sitting amid the redwoods in my quiet, rented room there. The book is dense; I found myself making notes from most pages, and it was helpful to be able to take it all in then walk toward the ocean and breathe salt air. Preece combines his experience with Buddhism and psychotherapy to outline processes a person might go through along the path to figuring out big questions like who am I? why am I here? how do I reconcile suffering and joy? how can I be of service? This book is extremely helpful for any Westerner drawn to Buddhism; Preece uses language familiar from Jungian theory and the much-beloved Joseph Campbell to explain how individuality differs from individuation and how one can confine and isolate, and the other can free.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wisdom of Imperfection.

Finished Reading