Christina's Reviews > The Tea Rose

Sep 27, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: 2011-reads, historical-fiction
Read from September 13 to 24, 2011

This book is one of those classic examples of telling, not showing. I'm certain around 3/4 of the book consisted of Donnelly telling us what Fiona was feeling, what she did/didn't deserve, telling us what she was doing etc… instead of letting the reader come to their own conclusions. You don't really realise what "showing" is until you see what it definitely isn't, if that makes sense.

With that said, the book is enjoyable, if all too convenient. Nothing is too hard for Fiona, and sure, she loses 90% off her family, the love of her life, and her home within the first third of the book, but everything along the way falls into place for her far too simply. She's gorgeous, headstrong, and always gets her own way. Everyone loves her. I believe another reviewer stated these characters were very one-dimensional and I have to agree with that.

Donnelly must have done something right though, because I couldn't stop reading. I wanted to keep reading. Even if I could foresee practically everything that was going to happen (except for a very bizarre twist at the end… you'll know the one I'm talking about when you get to it!), I was still swept away into this historical world. And after reading the blurb of the sequel, The Winter Rose, I'm dying to read that one too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tea Rose.

09/15/2011 page 261
39.0% "This girl has way too much luck on her side (death toll not counting)"
09/16/2011 page 313
46.0% "if Nick dies, I'm going to be very upset."
09/16/2011 page 313
46.0% "if Nick dies, I'm going to be very upset."
09/22/2011 page 381
56.0% ""It's amazing what the heart can bear. People say it breaks, but it doesn't. It would be easier if it did. If it just stopped beating. Stopped feeling.""
09/24/2011 page 540
80.0% "well that was extremely convenient."