Sarah Bringhurst's Reviews > French Women for All Seasons: A Year of Secrets, Recipes, and Pleasure

French Women for All Seasons by Mireille Guiliano

it was ok
bookshelves: food, literary-fail

I picked this one up for free, and it's been sitting in my bathroom for the past month, so I've leafed through most of it.

In the interest of full disclosure, I haven't read the book that put Guiliano on the bestseller list, French Women Don't Get Fat, although I was aware of its basic premise. It's hard for me to imagine anyone really being able to take her seriously. Giuliano's tone is supercilious at best. Her constant exaggerated descriptions of her own self-control (the chocolates she didn't eat, the half of a banana she saved for later, etc.) are bizarre to the point of being red flags for an unhealthy food obsession. And her constant assumed superiority in everything from fashion to stress management (not to mention the broad and blatant cultural stereotyping) make this book virtually unreadable.

However. It is peppered with quite a few recipes, based on seasonal produce, which look to be both delicious and fairly easy to make. And she also includes quite a few "recipes" for natural skin and hair treatments. Which is why I've not thrown away my copy, and also why I've given the book one star more than its writing deserves. If you can get past the author's egregious attitude, there's some good stuff inside.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read French Women for All Seasons.

September 23, 2013 – Started Reading
September 23, 2013 – Shelved
September 23, 2013 – Finished Reading
November 18, 2013 – Shelved as: food
November 18, 2013 – Shelved as: literary-fail

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Jared (new)

Jared That was an excellent write-up, Sarah =P

Sarah Bringhurst Thanks :)

Carmen Great review.