Cindy's Reviews > The Year of the Flood

The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood

Sep 26, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: own, biopunk, sci-fi, dystopic-or-apocalyptic, female-authors, near-future, gender-or-sexuality-issues
Read in October, 2009

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of the Flood.

10/02/2009 page 188
43.62% "Very odd... not hearing different voices for the 2 narrators. Time shifts confusing. OTOH, rakunks & liobams!"

message 1: by Suzanne (new) - added it

Suzanne Was thinking of buying this based on pre-release HIGH ratings, now not so sure ...
what the heck are rakunks and liobams???

Cindy They are genetic splices of racoon/skunk or lion/lamb. And there's more than that in the book.

I just finished the book last night, and still mulling about what to say about it. I would have rated it 3.5 stars if I could have. Some bits I loved, others were a bit sloppy, which made it confusing. Well worth the time to read, especially since I really liked Oryx & Crake.

Suzanne, have you read Oryx & Crake?

message 3: by Suzanne (new) - added it

Suzanne No, I've sort of avoided her since her very first works ... the same with Jody Piccoult. I LOVED her book, 'Second Glance', but after that I really lost interest in her work.

Cindy Suzanne, I would say that if you haven't read Oryx & Crake, you probably don't want to read YOTF first. Although Oryx & Crake is more preachy, it's also a tighter story, in my opinion. I would totally recommend Oryx & Crake if you like post-apocalyptic/dystopian stories, and find the bio- and genetic-ethics questions and consequences interesting.

Just a guess, but could the high pre-release ratings be from die-hard Atwood fans, where she could do no wrong? They can be a bit nutty.

message 5: by Suzanne (new) - added it

Suzanne Yes, good call!!! I went back and re-read a few!!