Jessica Goodman's Reviews > Who Asked You?

Who Asked You? by Terry McMillan

liked it

The book was a decent read. The book was funny. The characters were real and easy to connect to. There were a couple LOL and are you kidding me moments.

But there were a lot of things I did not like about "Who Asked You", which is odd for me when it comes to McMillan. The book was extremely predictable. I knew what was going to happen and how it was going to end before I got to the second part of the novel. The story was told from the perspective of at least ten characters and the only thing they had in common was the books matriarch and archetype McMillan character Betty Jean. The book weaves in and out of time from the late nineties til right after President Obama's inauguration. The election of our 44th President, surprisingly, was the moral compass that brought this dysfunctional family from the brink of disaster. I did not care for that at all. Not because I am not a President Obama supporter, but in my opinion that was reaching and lazy on the authors part.

As an avid reader and fan, I was disappointed because I expected more from Ms. McMillan. Not a MUST read but definitely worth reading.

2.8/5 Stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Who Asked You?.

September 23, 2013 – Started Reading