multitaskingmomma's Reviews > F.A.S.T. Balls

F.A.S.T. Balls by Tara Lain

13206735
Sep 22, 2013

liked it

Original Blog Post: http://headouttheoven.blogspot.com/20...

I can never resist a story involving a firefighter. Given two firefighters in one book is special. F.A.S.T. Balls is, to my naivete, the 5th! book of the Balls to the Wall Series. Okay, so there! I love firefighters and now we get a series involving three of these men, a cop too and I miss out on it? Duh duh dun to the max!

Anyways, I read the blurb and got excited and hoped this would be a great read. Turns out it was a good read, a light one, but somewhere along the way, I got a bit lost. There were other characters in this story that came from the previous books and I had no idea what to make of them. I just wish that I had read those four books ahead (which I will, in case you are wondering) before I did this one. Overall though, this was a lovely light read and I enjoyed myself, even the times when I was oblivious to some of the goings on.

So we have here a Mick guy who is a homophobe-created individual coming from a bigoted family and community populated by extraordinary bigots. Unfortunately, the way I read this and from my own Roman Catholic background, these bigots are a little idiotic! I mean, they were spouting off stuff that would make a logical individual cringe. Not only were they idiotic bigots, they were a ignoramuses! Ugh! Okay, so that explains Mick's backstory. Great thing he got his head out of the shadows and saw some light! (no pun intended).

Then we have the out and proud Jerry, a great guy whom everybody likes despite his being gay (I hate this sentence :( ) He has had some bad news from a lover whom he thought he could marry and finds himself depressed. Imagine his surprise when Mr. Mick The Jerk Bigot comes in to comfort him. Talk about confusing picture here.

So we get the background of their love story and it is romantic. Then it just turns fast paced that took me by surprise and I was backing up fast going through the previous text to find out the whys and the why nots. This is where I get lost. The relationship was great, but I find myself confused most of the time. However, soon the story straightens out, thanks to a gun-totting mother of Mick whose ace in the hole was a secret never revealed. Nevertheless, it was a good story.

This is a light, light read that was enjoyable, especially Jerry's funny comments that reminded me of Keanu Reaves' role in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. Overall a little bit choppy, I also got lost for lack of reading the first four installments, but it was an excellent choice to entertain me. I will definitely turn back now and read the other four just to satisfy my curiosity over those hunky men I read in the Epilogue.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read F.A.S.T. Balls.

Started Reading