Laura's Reviews > The Fellowship of the Ring

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

bookshelves: fantasy, classics, science-fiction, ya

I'll start out by saying I got the 500 page version instead of the 350 page version (I think that's what this said it was and I have no idea how that happened or that there was even a longer version but that's how many pages it was!) so I got incredibly bored in the beginning because there was pretty much nothing happening at all. There were pages upon pages of just one person talking. Some people love that and if you do, I totally recommend this book but I really couldn't get into it. The last 200 pages however, were amazing. I've seen the movie so I didn't have any trouble following the plot line if I got confused (mostly because of the 'old-speak' that Tolkien writes in to truly create the characters and not just write about them. That's one of the things I truly admire about Tolkien and his writing. He manages to take you inside the story and feel like you're one of the Fellowship.

I gave this book four stars and not five because I just don't get into his type of writing (even though it's excellent writing). It takes a certain kind of person (or maybe I just wasn't reading into it enough) to really appreciate and enter the book. So four stars for me, probably five for anyone who really likes this type of writing.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fellowship of the Ring.

Quotes Laura Liked

J.R.R. Tolkien
“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Not all those who wander are lost.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Short cuts make long delays.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. ”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“I feel thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“For even the very wise cannot see all ends.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater.”

September 22, 2013 – Started Reading
September 22, 2013 – Shelved
October 21, 2013 –
page 100
25.13% "Ugh I didn't finish it on time so I have to wait until I can get it back from the library! I keep unconsciously comparing it to the movie... good or bad thing I don't know."
December 11, 2013 –
page 140
35.18% "Ugh I didn't finish it on time so I have to wait until I can get it back from the library! I keep unconsciously comparing it to the movie... good or bad thing I don't know."
December 11, 2013 –
page 140
35.18% "Finally got this back from the library!"
December 12, 2013 –
January 12, 2014 –
page 250
January 13, 2014 –
page 348
87.44% "This is a looooong book!"
January 14, 2014 –