multitaskingmomma's Reviews > Dumb Jock: The Musical

Dumb Jock by Jeff Erno

13206735
Sep 22, 2013

bookshelves: mm-contemporary-romance, romance, hea, young-adult

Original Blog Post: http://headouttheoven.blogspot.com/20...

Dumb Jock: The Musical took me by surprise. I was ready to have another meltdown like I had when reading Dumb Jock (Dumb Jock #1) especially when I had to read about the deaths going on in that story. What we get instead is an unusually light read for a Dumb Jock book!

First, let me say that although this is book 4 of the series, this can be read all by its lone self. The backstories were well penned in by the author and any reader who has not read any of the books prior to this will never get lost. Those who have not read the previous book and liked or loved this one, they have a different feel to them, more serious, but also more romantic. This book is a light read, as I have said, but it is not lacking the wit nor the insights of the author. Curious yet? Pick up the series and give them a go, no regrets to reading great books.

In this one, Noah Sheridan writes a musical play with Evan Drake in mind for the lead role. He had always admired him from afar all the while thinking the guy of his dreams was straight. Evan is a good guy, raised by a loving, sweet, but head-sitting-squarely-on-her-shoulders kind of mom. He is also responsible for his younger brother while his mother works late. Apparently, Evan had always admired Noah's abilities as an individual, also from afar. When the two finally get the chance to get to know each other, they manage to create a furor over in the school. Evans decision to so openly out himself was just one event that led to what could have been a disaster, if not for a support group he never thought he'd have.

On the side, we have Bryan, Evan's best friend since way high. From the start of this story, Evan has serious doubts about his friend's sexuality but as his gaydar is practically absent, he says nothing. His coming out to the whole school and the community triggers a traitorous response from the one person he trusted most other than his mother and a domino effect is triggered resulting to some community drama involving the usual bigotry and anarchy.

With this kind of blurb and my insight to the story, you may wonder why I am saying this is a light read? Well, it IS a light read, and reading through this sent me to giggle and teen-age land - a somewhat similar response I usually get when I get tickled seeing Kurt and Blaine of Glee kiss, makeout or just go googly eyes each other - so yeah, teenage dreams here people. The scenes of the play acted out on this book was literally lifted from the first book. However, reading the first book never got me to giggling fits as that book had a very serious air to it. This, being a musical of sorts, shifted the story from seriousness to gleeness. So, every single time Evan and Noah acted the parts made so famous by the original Brett and Jeff, I had the giggle fits, grinning like a stupid Gleek. The song Can't Fight This Feeling Anymore, as sung by the late Cory Montieth, just kept popping into my head and I have to confess that Evan sort of reminded me of that late actor - sans the drugs and alcohol (sigh of complete relief!).

This may be a Dumb Jock book, but obviously for all of us fans to the series, there is nothing dumb or stupid about any of the characters or the plots. This particular installment is the lightest of the four and it also is, for me, the most romantic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dumb Jock.

Started Reading