Katie G's Reviews > A Bottle in the Gaza Sea

A Bottle in the Gaza Sea by Valérie Zenatti

This book was described to me as "a modern day Romeo and Juliet set in Israel/Palestine." And while I sort of get the comparison, it doesn't really fit. This isn't a story of two teens falling in love. It's a story of two teens (well, a 17 year old and a 20 year old, if I remember correctly) who write emails back and forth and learn more about each other.

The characters here were interesting. They definitely weren't the clichés I might have expected when reading a book on this subject. I felt it could have done a slightly better job at explaining both sides, but it still did a pretty good job of making me like and sympathize with both sides, and both characters. There's a good message, and I liked that the whole thing was grounded in history, even though this is a fictional novel.

I guess I was just expecting more. I wanted more history than we were given. I wanted to know more about the characters' lives. And Tal was supposed to be 17, but she read as though she were much younger, maybe 13 or 14 at the oldest. She just seemed a bit too immature or naïve or something like that for someone who's supposed to be 17.

Overall, this wasn't a horrible story. It's the sort of book I would have enjoyed reading for school but probably wouldn’t have picked up to read on my own (I read this because my professor recommended it). That said, if you enjoy reading about this region of the world, or if you've never read about it and want a book to start with that wouldn't be overwhelming, this is probably a good one to start with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Bottle in the Gaza Sea.

Started Reading