A. Bookzilla.'s Reviews > NOT A BOOK: For the Summer

Sep 22, 2013

did not like it
bookshelves: dnf-ed
Read on September 22, 2013

EDIT: The book has been pulled off Amazon and B&N.
EDIT 2: Back up.
EDIT 3: For more examples by reviewers who made it through more of the book than I did, check out this, and this.

***************************************************

Freckled cheeks, sunburns, a river bankyoung, wild, and brave. Sophie Kaden falls in love with the smartmouthed boy she can't seem to forget. She's looking to fit in for the summer; he's just hopeless. She's afraid to let go; he won't let her.

I never rate my DNFs. Everyone who knows me, knows this. In this case, I think the book deserves it (as per GR guidelines, this review is about the book, not the author.)

Not to beat around the bush, I read up to 20% (ish) at which point I just threw my hands in the air and thought - I THINK I'VE READ ENOUGH.

For those who have read Dusty, the recently popular Twilight fanfiction which you can read (for free) here, step away from this book if you're not a fan of deja-vu.

Why is that?

Let me demonstrate.
"This is my brother, Edward," Alice says, pointing toward the boy with the same color eyes as her. "He swears he's cool because he's a sixth-grader, but he isn't even that awesome."
Edward pushes Alice. "I'm cool." He laughs. "And I'm awesome."

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
“This is my brother, Bensen,” Ivey said, pointing to you with a flip of her wrist. “He swears he’s cool because he’s a sophomore next year, but he’s not that cool.”
You pushed Ivey, puffing out your chest. “I’m cool.” More laughing. “And awesome.”

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 466-469). . Kindle Edition.

Ah, but it happens in every book. Two books can think of the same thing, we've seen it over and over.

How about 327050925629 same things? Coincidence?
"Isn't there a boy in that house?" Dad asks, finally putting his paper down on the table.

"A boy? Oh, you mean Edward? He isn't a boy, he's a brother." I stop pulling apart my hair.

Mom laughs, but Dad doesn't.

"I don't feel comfortable allowing you to sleep under the same roof as a boy, Bliss." Dad sits back in his recliner.

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
“Isn’t there a boy in that family?” Dad asked, finally looking at me, squinting at the last remaining sun peeking from the trees.

“A boy? Oh, well there’s Brady. He’s nine.” I stopped, pulling at my hair in an attempt to appear truthful. Sadie lied. I never did. So now that I was, I tried to think of what she might’ve done in this scenario. I could almost picture her pouty brown eyes.

Mom laughed; she knew what I was doing. It was how she worked him, too, to go shopping last week with Aunt Megs.

“And what about the older one?” Dad put his beer down and looked up at me, his hard brown eyes narrowing. “The one I saw holding your hand as he helped you out of the boat I said I didn’t want you on.”

I knew it was too good to be true. I never got away with anything.

“Oh, uh, well that’s Bensen. Ivey’s older brother.” There was no sense in lying now. It would have only made him mad. “He’s fifteen.”

“I’m not comfortable with you hanging out in their house with him. He’s trouble.”

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 649-659). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************
She's wearing a tight blue shirt and a black pencils skirt. Her high-heels tap on the wood as she descends down the steps. Her hair is an unnatural red color, but it's seamlessly curled and styled. And when she smiles, I feel Mom almost cringe.

Alice's mom looks nothing like my mom.

"You must be Renee," the lady with the deep-red hair says, offering her hand.

Mom flattens her curly hair before shaking Mrs. Cullen's hand. "Yes, and your name?" Mom asks kindly.

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
She was wearing jean shorts and a red tank top. Her hair was that same rich color as Ivey’s, the color of the canyons with lighter highlights throughout.

“You must be Kathy,” the lady said, offering her hand.

“Yes, and your name?” Mom asked kindly.

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 684-686). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************
"I'll want to meet some parents," Dad says uncertainly.

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
“I want to meet their parents,” Dad said uncertainly.

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Location 668). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************
She'll be fine," Esme says brushing her hand along my long blonde hair;

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
““We’ll take good care of her,” Lindy said, brushing her hand along my long golden locks that hung over my shoulders.

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 697-698). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************
"You're sleeping here? Why?" Edward says and Petey snorts. Ben just laughs. He always does whatever Edward and Petey do.

I think Alice is about to attack them when their mother comes in from outside. She looks over at Edward and makes a noise with her lips. "Edward, have some fucking manners and be polite.

That word again!

"And clean up before your dad gets home," she adds before stepping into the kitchen.

Edward looks embarrassed for being scolded by his mother in front of his friends. He tosses the remote control onto the floor and begins to clean up after himself and his followers.

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
“You’re staying here? Overnight? Why?” you asked, and Grayden snorted. Brady laughed, trying to fit in. It seemed he always did whatever you and Grayden did. Ivey looked like she was about to smack you when your mom came back inside. She looked over at you, her eyes narrowed. “Bensen, have some fucking manners and be polite.”

Now I understood your language.

You looked embarrassed that your mom scolded you in front of others. Tossing the control at Grayden, you began to clean up.

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 711-716). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************
Edward peeks his head out of the door. "What's the matter, Bliss?"

"Give me my nail polish, Edward," I demand. There is no way I'm going near his bedroom. My dad would be so upset.

Edward smirks a mischievous smirk. He steps out of his bedroom but remains beside the doorjamb. "I think I'll keep it, strawberry-blonde."

I make a face. "Give it back."

He tosses it into the air. "Say please."

"Please."

"Say it again."

"Edward," someone says from behind me in an all-authoritative tone, "give the poor girl her nail polish back."

Dusty by YellowBella, Chapter 2: Dry and Dusty
“What’s the matter, sweet Sophie? You scared to get wet?”

“Give me my shirt, Bensen,” I demanded, trying to cover myself by wrapping my arms around my waist.

You smirked, mischievously. “I think I’ll keep it.”

I made a face as I neared you. “Give it back. I only have that one with me.”

You laughed as if my thinking you would give it back so easily was absurd.

“You’re not very funny.”

“Oh, yes I am. I’m very funny.” You smiled, your cheeks glowing a little from the sun. “And sexy.”

“Nope.” I blushed.

“You’re not.”

“Oh, what do you know? You’re thirteen.”

You tossed the wet fabric in the air. It slapped against the water in front of you. “Say please.”

“Please.”

“Say it again.” You reached over and touched my cheek and for a brief moment, and I thought you might kiss me. My stomach dropped at the thought.

“Bensen,” someone said from behind me in an authoritative tone, “give the girl back her shirt.”

Stahl, Shey (2013-09-20). For the Summer (Kindle Locations 732-744). . Kindle Edition.

********************************************

This is where I stopped, because really. I mean... I don't know. Speechless, stunned, you name it...

It's not only bits and pieces, entire scenes are happening the same, but maybe with just a word or two, added here or there, the names changed.

Sigh.

If I'm wrong, and the book can prove this is her original work, I will gladly take my review down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read NOT A BOOK.

09/22/2013 marked as: currently-reading
09/22/2013
20.0% "Can't believe what I'm reading. Like, I'm literally stunned here.

DNF."
09/22/2013 marked as: read
09/22/2013 marked as: dnf-ed

message 151: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Teevan Bitchie's in an M/M state of mind. wrote: "Tessa wrote: "Mahala wrote: "Kristin (KC) wrote: "I'm sorry if the end if my comment looked directed at Stephanie. It wasn't. I saw someone post that this review had already been seen on twitter, s..."

Oh! Lol I missed that. Oops! :)

Bitchie We really need a sarcasm font here on GR!

[redacted by S.H.I.E.L.D.] It boggles the mind how people think they can get away with these things.

message 154: by Has (new)

Has Lol she's blocking and deleting links on her FB page like that will stop people from finding out. It broke over twitter and the bloggers will pick this up tomorrow especially after the week of fail from Goodreads.

[redacted by S.H.I.E.L.D.] Ah yes, we have reached the deleting comments phase.

message 156: by Has (new)

Has Grack21 wrote: "Ah yes, we have reached the deleting comments phase."

yep next will be - it was my ghostwriter that did it and then it was the PMS!

[redacted by S.H.I.E.L.D.] Well, I'd say normally it would proceed to Wiki Edit Wars, but apparently she isn't popular enough to have a wiki entry.

message 158: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Has wrote: "Grack21 wrote: "Ah yes, we have reached the deleting comments phase."

yep next will be - it was my ghostwriter that did it and then it was the PMS!"

Lol@the ghost writer. She can't use that one. It's already been over done. She'll have to go with PMS lol

message 159: by Has (new)

Has Don't worry I am sure with the level of cray cray that's shown right now - fandomwank will have a glorious entry on this. I think her days of being repped by Trident Media is done though.

Karma♥Bites ^.~ Taryn at My Secret Romance wrote: "...Goodreads gets blamed for everything these days when a lot of the times it's shedding light on things we would've never known. It's a joke!

It's really not hard to figure out. Check the dates. ... Does that make any sense? It appears as though FTS was blatantly copied. How people can't see that is beyond me. ..."

I can't. I just can't let this pass. So fecking rich that Taryn would post the above. Damn short (or selective) memory. *SMH*

message 161: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Has wrote: "Lol she's blocking and deleting links on her FB page like that will stop people from finding out. It broke over twitter and the bloggers will pick this up tomorrow especially after the week of fail..."

[redacted by S.H.I.E.L.D.] Some people just don't understand how linear time works.

God I'm only half joking.

[redacted by S.H.I.E.L.D.] Ladies, Gentlemen, I retire til the morn.

Goodnight, and Good Luck.

message 164: by Has (new)

Has They're using timey wimey wibbly wobbly I steal your fics time ;)

I am surprised Amazon has kept the book up but watch out for this week when this story gets picked up in the blogosphere. She should have learned from other plagiarists.

message 165: by Karma♥Bites ^.~ (last edited Sep 22, 2013 08:41PM) (new) - added it

Karma♥Bites ^.~ Rosanna wrote: "...One blogger is actually defending her. My mouth seriously dropped open at that. Complete blind ignorance"

Sadly, there's precedent for stuff like that.

etc: typo b/c my mind is officially cooked by this weekend on GR

message 166: by Nadia (new)

Nadia Do the people who are defending her realize that students in university who plagiarize LESS than this get EXPELLED? It's collegiate suicide. How anyone who steals words and whole paragraphs verbatim can claim victim, I'll never understand. I hope the author at least contacts Dusty's authors privately and settle it, instead of hiding behind readers who don't understand the gravity of plagiarism, in its many forms. I feel like some of the defenders are sticking their fingers in their ears and singing "la la la la" ...it's very frustrating.

message 167: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 22, 2013 08:46PM) (new)

message 168: by Jo ❤ (new) - added it

Jo ❤ Nadia wrote: "Do the people who are defending her realize that students in university who plagiarize LESS than this get EXPELLED? It's collegiate suicide. How anyone who steals words and whole paragraphs verbati..."

She has contacted one of the authors and denied that she stole from them and that she even read their book. Girl thinks we're that stupid to believe her lies.

message 169: by Has (new)

Has Mahala wrote: "Has wrote: "They're using timey wimey wibbly wobbly I steal your fics time ;)

If that's the case then its open season for fanfic and fictionpress/original stories posted for free which is a threat to fandom as such. And if that happens oy if it was bad now it will be epically insane.

Karma♥Bites ^.~ Vera wrote: "Her fans will say "You're hysterical", "You're ruining her career", "You're such bitches for starting all of this". Always the same cop-out lines that people use in arguments to belittle someone into silence."

Erm... you forgot 'jealous'? ;-)

message 171: by Nadia (new)

Nadia do her fans realize that she was a fellow fandom writer... and most likely DID read Dusty, since it's one of the most popular ones out there? She can claim ignorance all she wants... the proof is in the pudding. You don't MAGICALLY come up with nearly identical dialogue from the magical dialogue fairy.

message 172: by Jo ❤ (new) - added it

Jo ❤ Miss Construed's wrote: "A Teambella23 Fic: Freckled, sunburned, and scraped, our lives are lived barefoot and sandy, rolling under the baking sun and surfing the salty water—young, wild, and brave. Volkswagens, bonfires, ..."

...and she stole from "Pickup Truck" too. SMH. I don't understand how some people can think that they can get away with plagiarism.

message 173: by [deleted user] (new)

Karma♥Bites wrote: "Erm... you forgot 'jealous'? ;-) "

I did indeed forget that one. ;D
It's nearing 5am here, so I have to go. I hope that when I wake up this matter is resolved, to the original writers' full benefit.
Stay cool, everyone!

message 174: by summer (last edited Sep 22, 2013 09:00PM) (new)

summer i absolutely hated the fanfic Dusty but this is a really shitty thing to do. the author is saying she's standing by the authenticity of her book but this just too much stacked against her. i haven't read For The Summer though so i should probably get to that before sounding off on this

message 175: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Trobaugh Wow So her summary on Amazon is a combination of Pickup Truck and Dusty's summaries? And she is still trying to deny it? Craziness

message 176: by Wanda (last edited Sep 22, 2013 09:57PM) (new)

Wanda Schumacher As of 11:12pm central time on Sept. 22, 2013 this book is still available for purchase on both Barnes and Amazon

Happytobeme This is just my opinion, but this book didn't just sound like Dusty. I sounded just like my teenage years. It could have been taken directly from conversations with my parents, introductions between my parents and friends parents, and every damn time I asked to spend the night at a friends house. There are only so many ways that a story about young summer love at a lake house can be written. Or so many ways family interactions can be described. Sophie and Benson's siblings sounded exactly like mine. Interactions between Sophie and Benson (the part about keep away with the shirt vs. keep away with nail polish) could have been pulled directly from my teenage years. We all acted the same way. You can only tell that story so many ways. And this one was told beautifully. No one griped when all of the 50 Shades of Gray spin offs were written. In fact, we all ran out and downloaded the most current spin off just to get our "Fifty Fix." I just don't think this is as horrible is it is being blown up to. If it is true plagiarism, then shame! But, it just appeared to be similar stories to me. Both had their differences and similarities.

TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠ Karma♥Bites wrote: "Taryn at My Secret Romance wrote: "...Goodreads gets blamed for everything these days when a lot of the times it's shedding light on things we would've never known. It's a joke!

It's really not ha..."

Selective memory sounds about right, eh?

Mahala wrote: "Here's the thing. Wouldn't you go look? Wouldn't you go and see what proof they are offering? I just blogged about this. Don't take my word for it or anyone else's. Go and look. "

This is what bothers me the most. It's really *not* that difficult to take a few minutes and follow some links. IMO, all it does is illuminate those people's insecurities.

You don't have to agree with anything but at least take the time to actually look before you speak. The evidence is either there or it isn't.

In this case, well, it ain't lookin' so good for Ms. Stahl.

message 179: by Tessa (last edited Sep 22, 2013 09:19PM) (new)

Tessa Teevan Can someone point me in the direction of all the successful FSOG knock offs? Because I haven't read them.

message 180: by Charli ღ Denae (new)

Charli ღ Denae Wow! I'm just shocked!! How do people justify stealing other people's writing/work? It's too similar not to be stolen. Very unethical.

message 181: by TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠ (last edited Sep 22, 2013 09:24PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠ Becky wrote: "This is just my opinion, but this book didn't just sound like Dusty. I sounded just like my teenage years. It could have been taken directly from conversations with my parents, introductions betw..."

This is another thing that makes the author look bad.

Becky, you just set up an acct to rate this book five stars and make your comment here.

No matter how many times you and the other fangirls say "Fifty Shades is a rip off of Twilight" it's not going to change the facts.

I'll repeat what Bitchie wrote, AGAIN, since it was spot-on.

"Concepts and ideas are one thing, entire passages is something else entirely."

message 182: by Has (new)

Has Becky wrote: "This is just my opinion, but this book didn't just sound like Dusty. I sounded just like my teenage years. It could have been taken directly from conversations with my parents, introductions betw..."

Wow this is the best obtuse excuse yet I seen to defend this. The differences between the 50 shades knockoffs and this is that there is WORD FOR WORD text which was stolen even the blurb was taken from the FF. And I also would like to add that if you want to go there about the knockoff arguments, not only 50 use to be TWILIGHT FANFIC - it is also not unique in the sense that it is basically a HQN Presents with badly done BDSM elements. The premise is not unique but 50 Shades has helped to explode P2P fic craze which you are now seeing the dark and crazy side of things being played out.

Oh and I bet you if the tables were reversed and Shey's books was plagiarised her fangirls would be out for blood.

message 183: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Trobaugh Tessa wrote: "Can someone point me in the direction of all the successful FSOG knock offs? Because I haven't read them."

I've heard fifty shades of silver is hilarious: http://www.amazon.com/Fifty-Shades-Si...

Karma♥Bites ^.~ Becky's account is also all of a few hours old. Hmmmm...

message 185: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Trobaugh If anyone is interested: Represented by Trident Media Group Agent: MacKenzie Fraser-Bub

message 186: by Bitchie (last edited Sep 22, 2013 09:31PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Bitchie The blurb for For The Summer : Freckled cheeks, sunburns, a river bank young, wild, and brave. Sophie Kaden falls in love with the smartmouthed boy she can't seem to forget. She's looking to fit in for the summer; he's just hopeless. She's afraid to let go; he won't let her.

The blurb for TeamBella23's Pickup Truck :Freckled, sunburned, and scraped, our lives are lived barefoot and sandy, rolling under the baking sun and surfing the salty water-young, wild, and brave.

The blurb for Dusty: Dusty » by YellowBella
She loves him. He loves her crazy. She's a hopeless romantic. He's just hopeless. She's afraid to let go. He won't let her. A story about a silly girl in love with a foolish boy. Here, forever is a lie. TeamBella23 - the realist and YellowGlue - the poet

Seriously? And I'm NOT supposed to think she ripped that shit off? She just mashed up two blurbs from two fics, I wonder if any passages from Pickup Truck are in there too?

Happytobeme I just said it was my opinion. I don't really appreciate being lumped in as a fangirl. That just makes you sound immature. I did just set up this account, as I just recently heard about this website when reviewing this book and situation on Amazon. I rated this book 5 stars because I read it and loved it. I am looking into the similarities between this and the other book just as everyone else is. And if it is intentional plagiarism then I am appalled and disgusted as well. I was merely stating that there are only so many ways to tell that story. I wasn't taking up for anyone, and I wasn't defending anything. You don't have to be hateful or ugly. It really isn't necessary. I believe that all authors work hard doing what they do and no one deserves to have their work stolen. One of the things that I did like about this STORY(I won't even say the book, or who actually wrote it), just the story was that it hit close to home and reminded me of teenage summers. THAT IS IT. So again, you can keep your accusatory comments to yourself. Yes, I do read books by this author, as do I read books by several other authors. I have never read Twilight. 50 was the first non-mystery book that I have read in years. I am sorry that I don't know it's origins.

message 188: by Jo ❤ (last edited Sep 22, 2013 10:00PM) (new) - added it

Jo ❤ Becky wrote: "This is just my opinion, but this book didn't just sound like Dusty. I sounded just like my teenage years. It could have been taken directly from conversations with my parents, introductions betw..."

NO. Dusty is a brilliant work done through a combination of two brilliant minds. Mary and Sarah. The poetically and realistically written lines, conversations, and ideas are their unique work.. You don't just magically come up with the same exact lines and ideas. ..Even the summary was taken from Dusty and Mary Elizabeth's Pickup Truck. Shey can deny all she wants but we're not idiots. She used to be a twilight fanfic writer too and also used to follow Mary on twitter. Too much of a coincidence?

Happytobeme Yep, you busted me. My account is only a few hours old. How old was YOUR account right after you signed up to use a website for the first time? Are new members not welcome here?

message 190: by Delis (new)

Delis I don't get how people can say that this story represented their exact childhood/teenage years. So, you also had a boy compliment your eyes/hair color and you wondered if he was making fun of you? I mean we all go through similar things and all but it's reaching to suggest that the exact same word for word conversations/situations have occurred.

Take this for example: From Dusty by YellowBella: ""Bye, Edward," I say, trying to hide my face behind my hair.

Alice is doing kick-flips and tricks on her skateboard behind me. The sound of her pink wheels hitting pavement is already oddly rewarding. It's like I've heard the sound my entire life. Those noises are supposed to be with me. They will always be. I know it.

Edward hesitates before he walks away. He pushes his fingers through his hair, and says, "I like the color."

I smile and look around. I'm clueless. "Of what?"

He crookedly smirks, and his eyes light up. "Your hair. I like the color of your hair."

"Oh." I touch my soft curls. "My mom says it's called strawberry-blonde. I let her curl it for me this morning." I don't know why I told him that.

He laughs easy. "Your mom lets you to have sweets for breakfast and curls your hair for you in the morning? She sounds cool." He's walking backwards, slowly.

"She is," I answer, stuck in place.

"Well, see ya."

"Bye."

Edward turns around and begins to run toward his friends, but then he stops and faces me. "I really do like it." He smiles. "Your hair color, I mean."

I make a face. Why would he say that? What do I say back, I like your hair, too? Cause, I mean, he has cool hair; it's like brown and red or gold…

Is he making fun of me?

Edward's laughing, but it doesn't seem like he's doing it to make me feel bad. "Bye, Isabella Bliss."

I shake my head. "Bella. My name is Bella.""

Now here is the same scene as written in For the Summer by Shey Stahl:

"You looked at me for a second before one of those boys yelled your name. “Well, umm, I have to go.”
“Bye,” I said, trying to hide my face in my hair I had pulled free from my ponytail.
You hesitated before walking away. Pushing your fingers through your wet hair, you said, “I like the color.”
I smiled and looked up at you, clueless. “Of what?”
You offered a crooked smile, eyes lighting up. “Your eyes. I like the color of your eyes. It’s different.”
“Oh,” I said, feeling a burn to my cheeks that wasn’t from the sun. “I think they’re gray, or blue, or something like that.” I didn’t know why I told you that, and judging by the grin on your face, I assumed you were wondering why as well.
I thought my eye color was odd. My parents and sisters all had brown eyes. I had gray-blue eyes. It made me think I was adopted or something, but they told me my mom’s dad had blue eyes. I must have gotten them from Red. That was what we called him, Red, short for Redding.
You laughed easy. “It seems that way.” You were walking backward, slowly, watching me.
I didn’t say anything else, stuck in place, confused by our interaction.
“Well, see ya.”
“Bye.” I waved.
You turned around and began to run toward your friends, but then stopped and faced me again. “I really do like them.” You smiled. “The color, I mean.”
I made a face. Why did you say that? What should I say back? I liked your eyes, too? Were you making fun of me?
You were laughing, but it didn’t seem like you were doing it to make me feel bad. “Bye … Sophie.”
I nodded, not knowing what else to do, and you nodded, too, running off, taking all of my embarrassment with you.
Boys were weird."

What are the chances of all these similarities?

message 191: by Sam (last edited Sep 22, 2013 09:42PM) (new)

Sam Becky wrote: "This is just my opinion, but this book didn't just sound like Dusty. I sounded just like my teenage years. It could have been taken directly from conversations with my parents, introductions betw..."

Seriously, Becky? the part about keep away with the shirt vs. keep away with nail polish) could have been pulled directly from my teenage years...Ok, nail polish/shirt...coincidence. That's one example. Care to explain the rest of them? Do you really find it probable that an author can repeatedly imitate paragraph after paragraph with only few words changing? Your theory is WRONG. If it were right, then every book about teens by a lake would sound the same...and have nail polish. And shirts. And the same scenarios ALMOST verbatim.

This is so blatant that it almost looks intentional...like a joke. Except I don't find it funny.

message 192: by -ya (new)

-ya I read Delayed Penalty written by this author. :(

Ari's review is clear and honest. I don't see the accusation at all.

Karma♥Bites ^.~ Becky wrote: "Yep, you busted me. My account is only a few hours old. How old was YOUR account right after you signed up to use a website for the first time? Are new members not welcome here?"

Are you asking me? Or rather, replying to my post/observation? If so, then here's my reply:

For the first several *months*, I didn't do anything but add books, read up on GR's ToS and other FYI items, surf the site so to get a sense of where things were, what was available, what looked interesting, etc. Ya know, the usual (and perhaps, not so usual) stuff.

What *didn't* I do―w/in 3hrs of setting my GR account? I didn't start commenting (read: go trolling) on a review for the only book on my shelf.

As for new members, I'm sure that they are very much welcomed. Trolls? Sorry, not so much―seems that GR is pretty packed at the moment due to pre-existing trolls and socks.

TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠ Becky wrote: "Yep, you busted me. My account is only a few hours old. How old was YOUR account right after you signed up to use a website for the first time? Are new members not welcome here?"

Of course they're welcome. It's just that most people don't set up accts to simply rate one book, whose author is being accused of plagiarism, and to comment on the review providing the evidence.

I can only speak for myself and my own experience with other users and say that usually one spends those first hours adding and rating a large number of books, checking out/joining groups and making some friends.

To me, something like that screams of an ulterior motive and not someone who is genuinely interested in being a member of this site.

But, that's just me.

*shrug*

Karma♥Bites ^.~ Yo, TN, that was kinda freaky! :D

Happytobeme What I meant by teenage years was that boys and girls interact the same way. A boy takes something (shirt, nail polish) to get a girls attention. It isn't a theory. It is an opinion. When I have completed Dusty, my opinion is subject to change. I am not attacking anyone, and I don't really appreciate anyone attacking me. And if I am not mistaken, I did state that I don't agree with plagiarism? I respect the original review, and the person who conducted the review. It was her opinion and she was very correct to point it out. It is just not up to me to decide whether or not something was done intentionally. I just posted my take on it.

[redacted by S.H.I.E.L.D.] Ah. The other rip offs didn't get caught so why is mine a big deal phase. Try using THAT argument in court.

But judge, other people get away with it!

Happytobeme Sorry, this was just the most recent book that I read. I actually read it today. I am the jump right in and try new things kind of person. Not a troll. I certainly didn't intend to come off as one.

Margey Sebastian ★Yσsвє★ wrote: "Dusty's author doesn't give her real name. Why Shey would risk her reputation doing such a thing? You don't need to be so smart to know that all these things happennig lately is just trying to harm..."
why don't you read dusty? and look at the publication date? it's not the first time she's done this either.

message 200: by TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠ (last edited Sep 22, 2013 09:56PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠ Becky wrote: "I just said it was my opinion. I don't really appreciate being lumped in as a fangirl. That just makes you sound immature. I did just set up this account, as I just recently heard about this web..."

Seriously, this is the problem causing all the drama on this site and elsewhere.

You made a statement. Why is it hateful, immature or ugly for people to disagree with you?

It's perfectly okay for you to jump in here and disagree with several different people but anyone questioning you or pointing out the holes in the statements you made is unacceptable?

SMFH