Jonel's Reviews > An Incurable Insanity

An Incurable Insanity by Simi K. Rao

Rao evokes a vast array of emotions in her audience. Through brilliant descriptions, straightforward storytelling, and intimate narratives she draws you fully into this remarkable tale of trial and error and love at its finest. Rao definitely had my heart tied in knots with this one. She not only takes a practice that is less than popular in western culture, but plops it down in the seat of all things North American. This talented author also makes it work, and spins it into a novel that you won’t be able to put down.

The writing in this novel was amazing, but don’t even get me started on the characters themselves. They were so real and easy to relate to that I couldn’t help but fall in love with them, both as individuals and as a couple. I found myself at one second thinking ‘If they’d just talk to each other’ and at the next thinking ‘but I’d so have done the same thing.’ This was a true comedy of errors with no easy way out of the corner they’ve backed themselves into. Since this novel was so focused on these two very different yet remarkable individuals the minimal development of the supporting cast actually worked in the author’s favour.

As a whole this was a brilliant novel. Rao walks the line between traditional Indian culture and all that is Hollywood to create a tale that will pull at your heartstrings and keep you captivated throughout.

Please note that I received this novel free of charge from the author/publisher/blog tour company in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Incurable Insanity.

September 22, 2013 – Shelved