Abrahamus's Reviews > How Should We Then Live? The Rise and Decline of Western Thought and Culture

How Should We Then Live? The Rise and Decline of Western Thou... by Francis A. Schaeffer

Sep 25, 2009

bookshelves: apologetics, visual-arts, theology, philosophy
Read in September, 2001

This book was a life-changer. Schaeffer transformed my understanding of history, especially the history of philosophical thought, and really enabled me to make sense of so many things that had been gnawing at me for years—ever since I was introduced to the likes of Nietzsche in an Introduction to Philosophy class at a state university. Additionally, his method of discussing developments in the arts right alongside of the philosophical transformations was an approach to history which really struck a chord with me.

One thing I will always remember is that I was in the middle of reading this book for the first time on Sept. 11, 2001. Schaeffer's grim predictions (originally published 1976) in one of the latter chapters regarding the future threat of global terrorism and the correspondent increase in statist control and loss of individual liberty has resonated most prophetically in the aftermath of those events.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Should We Then Live? The Rise and Decline of Western Thought and Culture.

03/05/2016 marked as: read