Caroline's Reviews > Todo in Tuscany: The Dog at the Villa

Todo in Tuscany by Louise Badger

bookshelves: bedtime-reading, animals

I got this book for a bedtime read. My bedtime reads are usually pretty tacky. They are mostly a mush of easy-read saccharine. This one was different, and a pleasant surprise.

It’s meant to be a book about Todo, a dog that Louise Badger and Lawrence Kershaw inherited when they moved to a house in Tuscany, but really it’s a book about Louise and Lawrence, and their adventures in Italy.

They are such a lovely couple. I want to go to dances with them - ‘Sagra di Zuppa di Frantoiana’ or Sagra di Funghi Porcini’ (the name depending on the food being served at these wonderful outdoor music and dance nights). I want to help them learn Italian, to cope with Italian red tape and bureaucracy, and most of all I wanted to help them get rid of the bird hunters on the edge of their property. I want to go walking through the olive trees with them, and visit some of the fine restaurants they frequent ( always making great friends with the people who work there. They are those kind of people). I loved their fondness for their animals too – not only Todo, but also their three cats. Their friendliness and largesse warm every page.

I think the book was well written. Certainly I found it hard to put down. Instead of being a sleeping pill (the intended role of most of my bedtime books), this one kept me up much too late. It’s an easy read with fabulous people and lots of endearing animal references. Bliss :-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Todo in Tuscany.

September 20, 2013 – Shelved
Started Reading
September 21, 2013 – Finished Reading
August 30, 2014 – Shelved as: bedtime-reading
May 20, 2015 – Shelved as: animals

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Lynne (last edited Sep 21, 2013 02:13AM) (new) - added it

Lynne King Caroline,

This sounds a wonderful book. Italy, olive groves, restaurants, a couple and a dog/three cats, people enjoying themself and the whole Tuscan atmosphere.

Love it!

Drat. The wretched Kindle which I wish I had never bought. Another book has been added but anything to do with Italy and dogs/cats is for me!

Caroline Ha ha ha, a curse on Kindle. Actually Lynne it's no better with paper books and Amazon - just one click and you buy a book - that's literally all it takes. Plus I shouldn't be using Amazon, who hardly pay any tax in the UK. (Hisssssss.....)

This is a lovely book though. A cuddle in wood pulp (or on a Kindle screen).

message 3: by Jan-Maat (new)

Jan-Maat A book about a dog written by a badger? :)

message 4: by Lynne (new) - added it

Lynne King Well put Jan-Maat!

Caroline Jan-Maat wrote: "A book about a dog written by a badger? :)"

:-D

message 6: by Mikey B. (new)

Mikey B. Wonderful Review!!

Caroline Thank you M! :-)