Raveena's Reviews > Six Months in Sudan: A Young Doctor in a War-torn Village

Six Months in Sudan by James Maskalyk

liked it

This book is a memoir recalling James Maskalyk's experiences as a MSF doctor working as a physician for six months in Sudan. The account is well written and provokes a sense of emotion as Maskalyk talks about the dire conditions of war, disease and poverty in Sudan. He describes his situation in Sudan as a kind of lingo, where at one moment he wants to escape and go back home, and the next, he wants to stay to help the patients. I can compare this book to so many I have read where volunteers or doctors go to third-world countries and change from the experiences. They develop emotional attachments to the children, establish a sense of home where they are and become a part of the place.

Although a terrific read, I wish Maskalyk had expanded more on the detail of his leave from Sudan. I felt that part was very rushed as he kept jumping from one moment to the next and also one feeling to the next. At one point he would stop and admire Sudan and reminisce his six months at the hospital, and the next he would be clicking pictures and rushing to get out of Sudan.

One of the many things that I did like about this book was that he always pondered over one question. What is his responsibility for the lives of others? I feel that whenever we watch TV or read a book, we always see Africa or other countries infested with poverty or war. We instantly want to reach out and help them, but we don't know how. We want to save everyone there with our mundane abilities but can't do it for everyone. Maskalyk couldn't save everyone and often his hard work went to waste; but through the blood, dust and sweat, Maskalyk was changed emotionally and mentally from his experiences in Sudan.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Six Months in Sudan.

September 20, 2013 – Started Reading