Rebecca's Reviews > Born Fighting: How the Scots-Irish Shaped America

Born Fighting by James Webb

Sep 25, 2009

bookshelves: books-i-own, changed-my-life

Sometimes you find a book that speaks to your soul, that your blood reaches out to and embraces, and you feel like you've come home when you didn't even know you were away. With the feeling of a puzzle piece finally sliding into place, my history, my home, my people came out and claimed me. I've known that my family came from Ireland, fairly recently, but almost everything else has been a blank. But the little slivers of knowledge I did have came together, the outlines completed and the colors filled in by Webb's lyrical, astonishing story. Nonfiction, at least for me, is rarely this riveting--it may be intellectually interesting, but it doesn't usually find me where I live. Things I've known only vaguely but never understood coalesced into a whole that I could finally grasp and articulate.

Webb straddles a reasonable middle as he narrates the history of an entire people group, which, covering thousands of years, two continents, and every volatile question known to modern civilization, is no easy task. This isn't just a beautiful ode to a forgotten and misunderstood people--it's a vital historical record that no historian can go without reading. Take a deep breath and dive into Webb's masterwork. You won't look at your country the same way again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born Fighting.

September 25, 2009 – Shelved