Tara's Reviews > Lover Revealed

Lover Revealed by J.R. Ward

Sep 24, 2009

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, read-and-reread, read-in-2009, read-in-2010, vampires, featured, read-in-2011
Read from October 01, 2009 to March 26, 2011

10/19/09- I thought I really liked Lover Awakened, but then I don't know how to express how much more I loved Lover Revealed. I really like the story of Butch and more than his HEA with Marissa I loved his delicate relationship with V. I can't wait to read more about Vishous in the next book.

If I had a complaint about this series I would say, you meet and get to know even if a little all the characters in the first book, and it seems after you get their story, they disappear a little.

4/4/10- Yup still love Butch. Still love this book.

3/26/11-(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Revealed.

Quotes Tara Liked

J.R. Ward
“Thanks for putting me up for it ... trahyner." As V's eyes flared, Butch said, "Yeah, I looked up what the word meant. 'Beloved Friend' fits you perfect as far as I'm concerned."

V Flushed. Cleared his throat. "Good Deal, cop. Good... deal.”
J.R. Ward, Lover Revealed

J.R. Ward
“As he vomited, he felt, though did not see, V come over. Forcing his head up, Butch groaned, "Help me..."

I'm going to, trahyner. Give me your hand." As Butch held his palm up in despair, Vishous whipped off his glove and grabbed on good and hard. V's energy, that beautiful, white light, poured down Butch's arm and ripped through him in a blast, cleansing, renewing.

United by their clasped hands, they became again the two halves, the light and the dark. The Destroyer and the Savior. A whole.”
J.R. Ward, Lover Revealed

10/18/2009 page 132
04/04/2010 page 438
96.26% "The induction ceremony!! My favorite part!"
04/04/2010 page 455
100.0% "All done!"
show 5 hidden updates…

message 1: by Mel (last edited Oct 19, 2009 02:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel I totally agree on your little complaint: it's a pitty we don't really get to see the older characters we've invested in through the former books. Bella and Mary were just mentioned and that was that. But I did hear Wrath and Beth will be making a comeback with Lover Avenged.

Oh and I also totally agree with you on the Butch/V-thing. Their dynamic was just so intriguing and sweet, it made me hope for a little male/male action. Poor V.

Tara Right? I didn't really see it coming before this book but by the end I was definitely hoping for a little m/m action. His induction into the brotherhood, was a little hot.

I'm glad to hear Beth & Wrath make a comeback. I really keep waiting for Z and John to really have a talk. Ever since early in Z's book, so maybe at some point he'll make a significant comeback too!

message 3: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Oh I love Z... He can make a come back any time. I thought Lover Awakened was just perfect, except for the overly sappy ending. Ward goes a little bit overboard with that sometimes. It's like she had to overcompensate for all the gruesomeness in the book and she made up that sappysappy-ending.

About Bucth and V: I was exactly the same. I didn't see it coming before this book either but halfway in I was thinking that if I were Marissa, I would definitely initiate a threesome *grin*. I'm sad Ward didn't even give us a kiss. And I heard that she pretty much said on her board that Butch and V's relationship will be platonical only. Damnit!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow Tara, you're flying through these books! Wasn't Lover Revealed awesome? I think it was my favourite book in the series, thus far. I felt so sorry for V by the end of the book, esp the scene on the balcony. And Butch, well what can I say - I want one!

message 5: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Balcony? What happened again on the balcony?
And Josie and Tara, I was wondering: did Z drink from Bella in Lover Awakened? I honestly don't remember...

message 6: by Tara (last edited Oct 19, 2009 07:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tara Balcony- it was where V had the breakdown, stripped naked, started to glow and then jumped. My question is was that the same as the vision he'd said he dreamed of? Because I thought he had said they were both naked, I should just go back and check.

Z did drink from Bella, in the torture place, before they pulled Phury from the table and got in the truck. Lover Awakened was just great, I wasn't overly in love with the epilogue. I'm not a fan of jumping into the future in an epilogue then returning to before that in the next book. And I just started Lover Unbound and it starts like days after the end Lover Revealed so we are still way ahead of that epilogue!

Josie- I felt so horrible for V! I always liked Butch. And Mel I'm with you, Marissa is an idiot, I would definitely have asked for a threesome! ;) So never going to be more than platonic, huh? I would mind a HEA being broken every once and a while and this would be for a good cause.

Seriously though, it seems like an odd thing to bring up and do nothing with. I don't know, I'm not seeing any purpose except to make my heart bleed for Vishous. Which it very much is right now, I just want to give him a hug.

message 7: by Mel (last edited Oct 19, 2009 07:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Oh yes! Now I remember. I imagined it to be on the roof of some building, not a balcony.
I think it was what Vishous saw in his vision. Although I also recall that they both were naked... Maybe it was a little wishful thinking on V's part.

Oh yes he did drink from her. There's a 'Slice of Life' on the website ("Movie Night" it takes place after Lover Awakened and before Lover Revealed) in which Ward states Zsadist drinks from Bella for the first time. Sometimes I suspect she doesn't write the stuff on her website herself...

I hated the epilogue! Apparently it'll come back in Father Mine. But it added to the whole sappiness thing I hated!

*sigh* Oh the Butch/V/*fill in your own name* threesome. Good cause indeed! :D
I'm with you on the hug. I'll have to contain myself though :D

message 8: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel I'm sad she won't do anything with it either. Maybe the gay-influences would be too much for the mass audience? I think it's a waste though...

Tara Father mine? What's that? I haven't gone to the website yet. I'm afraid of spoilers.

Your probably right about that gay influence being too much for the mass audience, but I really hate when things are introduced for no real purpose.

message 10: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Yes me too.
No I wouldn't browse the website or the BDB board on Goodreads cause people mention details we don't really now yet and we can put two and two together and be very spoiled. I always take sneak peeks which I always regret but I keep doing it, grrr.
Father Mine is a short story in the Insiders Guide. It's also available on line.
I wrote you an overview of BDB stories on the October Challenge thread.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Tara, the short story is in this book. It fits in just before Rehvenge's story in book 8 Lover Avenged.
The Black Dagger Brotherhood An Insider's Guide by J.R. Ward

message 12: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Oh good! Cause I already have this book and won't get Rehvenge's till the end of November. The horror :(

message 13: by Tara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tara Oh man, I just had order this from Amazon. My library doesn't have it and all the surrounding libraries that do have a wait list 6 people long! My local books stores are both out as well! That's okay, it should be here in 2 days! Just in time to read before I get to Lover Avenged!

message 14: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel I have to buy all the books as we don't have that much choice in English books in the librabry in my city. But it's money well invested in these boys... uuhm series :D

Celine I think Lover Revealed is my second favorite book in the BDB.... i'm a sucker for Butch and i just love how Marissa gets her fancy ass out of those dresses and into the pants!
@Mel: damn right about that threesome..damn girl! get your groove on and get those hot males together hmhmmm

message 16: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel LOL, I had to go back and read the comments. Oh, those were the days! :)

Celine I didn't realise they were such old posts until after I wrote my bit :)
Butch is my soft spot....

message 18: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Oh I love Butch. Just read a great V/Butch fanfic, but it's a WIP... :(

Celine did you read that smutfest i shared a few months ago? with 16 chapters of almost non-stop sex combo's V/Butch/Marissa/Jane... hmm maybe do a little re-read :)

message 20: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Nah that was too much for me. I like my fanfic to be a little more close to the original. Plus, I don't want girlie bits between V and Butch.

Celine too much?...gnignigni.. it was completely trough the roof!! luckily the main focus was on V and Butch, i know what u mean... too much female flesh would ruin the fantasy
God... i still keep imagining that induction scene with those two males locked together at the hips in a powerful embrace and Butch just givin himself to V.... *starts salivating* the air must have been cracklin'....

message 22: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel You read the story about the induction ceremony through the eyes of the rest of the guys? That was funny.

Celine hey nooo? where is that!! I was just thinking: must have been something for the rest of the Brothers to watch that tension...
gimme that!!!

message 24: by Mel (last edited Mar 25, 2011 03:48AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Here it is: First Initiation Ceremony in 75 years. You might need to sign up before you can read it.
Tara, you should read this. It's a very funny short.

Celine oh my! that is the funniest thing ever!! sweet :)
thanks Mel

Dhfan4life Your totally right about how Marissa behaved. I didn't like that aspect of it. But I wasn't too surprised though. I mean look at the rules of their world. Humans are pretty much on the same level as rats and other weaklings. So she was only overly playing to her strengths. But I swear at some points I just really wanted Butch, V, and Marissa to be a 3 way couple lol. As I was totally feeling V's hots for Butch. And even though Ward tried to clear things up by saying they both never was so close to any one like that before. I still think she was playing it safe by putting it that way. Cause trust me, best friends may be tighter than tight. But I have never heard guy best buds sleeping in the same bed like they did. Or even when Butch was freaking out and went to the Commodore as V was the only one on his mind that could give him comfort from the stuff with Marissa. I'm like come on now. And I'm sure if V wasn't having sex with that chick, they so would have been hanging out pretty much all night.

I'll add too that when V gave Butch his blood and it was so intense that Butch orgasmed there was still a moment between them of something more could have went on. So best buds my behind. V and Butch would have been the best gay couple of the year.