Angela's Reviews > The Night Also Rises

The Night Also Rises by C.B. McCullough

it was ok
bookshelves: goodreads-first-reads-program, 2013

After leaving the police department of Amber City under a cloud of suspicion (being tried for the murder of one's wife will do that), former detective Jack Tarelli ekes out a living as a small-time private investigator. Word-of-mouth business, keep his head low, stay off the radar, that's Jack's life. So it was a great surprise to be summoned to the home of Rutherford Harland, the richest man in the city, and an even greater surprise to be hired to investigate the recent murder of Harland's son and heir, Nathan. Throw in Yvonne, the still-gorgeous former debutante daughter of the billionaire, a humanoid robot butler, the mob, the rain, and the weeks-long night of Jannix, and you've got all the ingredients for an SF noir whodunnit: a cross between Blade Runner and The Maltese Falcon, or so the publicity for this self-published novel says.

And, you know, it's not a bad story. Jack's a great character with a dry sarcastic wit, and the plot itself is suspenseful -- just enough twists and turns to keep the reader guessing. Still, I have to give it just two stars for "It was okay" because, well, for example, the author used "alter" when the correct word was "altar"; "who's" when the correct usage was "whose"; and ellipses... all... over... the... freaking... place. Seriously. If I saw the phrase "Jack the Knife..." once, I saw it a hundred times.

Still, I give C.B. McCullough credit: he wrote and published an almost-good book. I'd love to see what could have been made of it with a decent editor and some re-writes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Also Rises.

September 18, 2013 – Shelved
September 18, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
September 18, 2013 – Shelved as: goodreads-first-reads-program
October 14, 2013 – Started Reading
October 14, 2013 – Shelved as: 2013
October 15, 2013 –
page 157
88.2% "Not the worst thing I've ever read. Can't decide if the "noir" aspect is ironic or earnest."
October 16, 2013 – Finished Reading