Brandy 's Reviews > Ameera, Unveiled

Ameera, Unveiled by Kathleen  Varn

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley, reviewed

I appreciated the perspective of this book. This is Kat Varn's first book and it feels like part memoir and part fiction, but where ever the truth falls the story was a whole bunch of fun. I received a copy of Ameera Unveiled from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review, and as such, the opinions that follow are my own and uninfluenced by publisher or author. I've always been intrigued by bellydance and have secretly wish to learn. Perhaps that is what initially drew me in, the beautiful cover art. Reading this book was like reading a coming of age story for the middle aged. As an empty nest is looming Kat finds the courage to re-discover herself through dance. I found many of the sentiments relatable and inspiring. It takes courage to look at your life and think about what you really want, and that is especially hard (in my opinion) for mothers. After giving so much of herself to her family and her career, Kat takes a bold step toward doing something that she enjoys regardless of her own insecurities. Reading about her journey with dance is motivational and funny all at once. All of her characters are very real and she has done a great job exploring the bonds that women share and the healing powers of friendship.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ameera, Unveiled.

September 18, 2013 – Shelved