Sonja Arlow's Reviews > Ghost on Black Mountain

Ghost on Black Mountain by Ann Hite

bookshelves: 2017-read, bookclub-read, recommended

I always find the idea of ghost stories appealing but am disappointed more often than not. So this story was a rare treat.

Newly married 17-year-old Nellie Pritchard moves to Black Mountain to start a life with her charming husband Hobbs Pritchard.

Life is not easy on the mountain but Nellie wants to give it her best shot. But every time she reaches out to the community she gets rejected, her husband leaves her alone for days at a time and she becomes nothing more than a prisoner in the big old house.

Slowly she discovers that her handsome, amiable husband is really a vicious, murderous bootlegger feared by the entire community, but the worst is yet to come.

When Hobbs starts beating her knowing full well that his family will turn a blind eye soft spoken Nellie is driven to breaking point and something must give.

And then Hobbs and Nellie both disappear off the mountain. No one knows what happened to either of them but some have their suspicions.

The story takes you deeply into the lives, loves, and losses of the characters, living and dead, making you care about their stories. Each narrator added a layer of depth to the story with all five of these women showing strong yet flawed character. I liked all of them but think Shelly and Nellie were my favourites.

This was a wonderfully atmospheric, at times dark southern tale and if you enjoyed this you may want to look at The Storycatcher as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost on Black Mountain.

September 18, 2013 – Shelved
September 18, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
January 19, 2017 – Started Reading
January 19, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
January 23, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-read
January 23, 2017 – Shelved as: bookclub-read
January 23, 2017 – Shelved as: recommended
January 23, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Dem (new)

Dem Have added Sonja as I too like a ghost story every now and then. Great review.

Sonja Arlow Dem wrote: "Have added Sonja as I too like a ghost story every now and then. Great review."

The author has a light touch with the ghost elements where it almost feels normal reading about the paranormal and the story was very engrossing. I hope you enjoy it

Tania So glad you enjoyed it. Great review!

message 4: by C. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C. I hear you! I like spiritual connections with the afterlife or a mystery about them. People water them down into "cozy mysteries" or ruin the atmosphere with "horror thrillers". I believe you look for what I do: serious spirit stories, in standard adult mystery!

I wanted more paranormal content than this one had but enjoyed the huge tone of secrets and important timing.