preppea's Reviews > Panic

Panic by J.A. Huss

Enter to win it on I ♥ Bookie Nookie Reviews 10/26-10/31

I knew going into PANIC that there were certain things I could expect. I would love the heck out of Ronin and Rook. I might love a little too much out of Ford. And Rook might get spooked and shock us all. What I didn’t expect? Ninety percent of what actually happened in PANIC. It was so much better than anything I expected (and mind you I rated the last two books 5 stars so I feel like I expected a lot). I am simultaneously jealous of everyone who gets to experience it for the first time and fangirl dancing because I got to read it early!

Rook moves up to Fort Collins to begin her stint as Shrike’s errand girl. She’s devastated to be leaving Ronin behind as he’s busy managing the new Gidget contract but at least she has her friends Spencer and Ford to keep her company. Only Ford, well, he never just keeps his mouth shut and he’s always surprising her, so he throws her for a couple loops that have her head spinning. She’s also struggling through some of her required classes at the local community college which makes her wonder if she’s even equipped for this whole college degree goal. Add to that the fact that Claire is a big part of the Gidget contract and always a source of jealousy for Rook and you pretty much understand some of the stress going on in Rook’s head.

The best part? All of that is just groundwork for the crazy rug that J.A. Huss has been getting us all on—just so she could pull it out from under us! Because everything we knew about Rook, well, that wasn’t even half of it. And all the things we wondered about the cons Ronin, Ford, and Spencer used to run? Get ready because we get a whole lot more information on how those worked and who did what.

J.A. Huss literally gave me everything I’d begged for, hoped for, and then she gave me so much more. PANIC was suspenseful and exciting. It had passionate moments between Rook and Ronin that had me highlighting huge paragraphs.

I want you to fight for us, Rook. You never want to fight for us, you just want to walk away whenever it gets hard. And dammit, this is not hard, Rook. This life we’re living right now is fucking paradise. So how will you act when the shit gets out of control? Will you just leave me when I need you most? Because I’d never leave you. I hope you know that, Rook. I’d never walk out. I’d fight for you every single time. You’d never even have to wonder if I’d be there because I’d show the fuck up before that thought could ever cross your mind.

It had Rook growing, Ronin despairing, and Ford revealing more and less than ever. To be honest, I think I highlighted half the book. And the best part of all? The thing that has me so grateful because honestly I couldn’t fathom leaving Rook, Ronin, or any of the team alone after just three books? Ford is getting his own book in January of 2014. Squeeeee! And then, later, Spencer. *Insert high pitched squeals here*

**Copy provided by the author/publisher for an honest review.

**Reviewed by preppea on I ♥ Bookie Nookie Reviews.

photo BookieWebHeader_zps2a31d562.jpg

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Panic.

September 17, 2013 – Shelved
September 17, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read-for-review
October 10, 2013 – Started Reading
October 10, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read-for-review
October 19, 2013 –
page 180
77.59% "So good! So so good!"
October 19, 2013 – Shelved as: abuse