Queen Spades's Reviews > The Kiss

Sep 17, 2013

bookshelves: royally-favored

The extended review can be found on The Review Board:

Disclaimer: May Contain Slight Spoilers

The story starts off with two couples. Both of them get pictures taken of them while posing in front of a statue called El Beso (The Kiss). Although a brief meeting, it leaves quite an impact on both couples.

Dialogue between Rita and Tom sets the stage. It was Tom's inner thoughts, not Rita's admiration for Simeon's looks, which really peaked my interest. The chance encounter becomes significant when Rick is called upon to take a case involving embezzlement of company funds. His client is none other than Tom, the gentleman he met near The Kiss.

In the past, Rick has been the pillar of doing the right thing, yet Tom's case causes Rick to blur his normally defined lines.

The author does a great job in really bringing the reader in based on dialogue along due to the innuendos. She also has a clear cut way in how she wants to use the conflict of each of the characters as well as excellent pacing with the drama.

I did notice as I read this copy of The Kiss, there were no quotation marks anywhere in the work to separate dialogue from narrative. This did make it difficult in quite a few parts to follow. In addition, in some places, there wasn't a clear breakdown of which character was saying what. It would help from a visual standpoint if the quotation marks were present. (I do recognize in different parts of the world that single quotation marks are used, as opposed to double quotation marks for dialogue.)

It would have also been nice to have italics to point out the inner dialogue and thoughts of some of the characters as well, like Tom's thoughts on Rick in the beginning or when Tom and Rick meet with each other for the case.

Despite these suggestions, I highly recommend The Kiss for its wonderfully complex characters, interesting plot, and great pacing in action.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kiss.

September 17, 2013 – Shelved