Hazellie's Reviews > Sean Griswold's Head

Sean Griswold's Head by Lindsey Leavitt

Sep 17, 2013

bookshelves: 2013-books-read

This is one of the best books in its genre. So many YA romance novels like to over-dramatize stuff with their boyfriends and friends and family, but the issues discussed in this book are things that really happen to people.

Although trivial teenage problems really happen to teenagers too, in this case, all the teenage characters; Payton, Sean, her best friend Jac... Grady might be an exception, aren't prone to drama. I thought the author did a really great job with character development, and all the characters really came to life for me.

This book shows a sensitive and uplifting, though somewhat bittersweet, picture of how people cope with loss and disease, and also fear, because in some cases, the fear of the situation is actually worse than the situation itself. What Payton and Jac does for Miss Marietta was very moving too, and I'm glad for Miss Marietta's mini-story in the book.

I especially loved the whole Focus Object concept and how it helped Payton get through her fears for her father. I also loved that it was thought up by her guidance counselor, Ms. Callahan, when she was going through a hard time. I thought it was a very real portrayal of real problems of real people. =)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sean Griswold's Head.

September 17, 2013 – Shelved