Jules's Reviews > Orphan Train

Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline

it was ok

I was going to say this book reads like a YA novel, but then I realized that is an insult to some really well-written YA novels (The Giver, To Kill a Mockingbird, Flowers for Algernon...)

Like many other readers, I thought the book had potential with a very interesting subject (orphan trains), but the writing was amateurish, with incredibly stereotypical characters, a predictable plot and way too much sentimentality. I doubted throughout the book that the author had any firsthand experience with orphans, Native Americans or the modern day foster care system. (If she does, it did not come through in her writing.) The plot lines wrapped up so neatly that I thought I was watching a Hallmark Channel movie for a minute.

On the plus side, I commend the author for choosing a subject that is not well known to many people. I live in Minnesota, where many of the orphans in the book found homes after leaving the train, and I was not familiar with this history at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Orphan Train.

September 17, 2013 – Started Reading
September 17, 2013 – Shelved
Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Laurie Exactly!

Heather Canedy I loved this book.... Couldn't put it down. I enjoyed the two parallel stories. Great ending.

Susie I loved this book! Especially how it switched from past to present without confusion. Embarrassed to admit I knew nothing about orphan trains

message 4: by Bethf (new)

Bethf Agree! Couldn't finish it for these reasons.

Mariah Roze Currently reading this for the book club Diversity in All Forms! Feel free to join in the discussion :)

Debbie Did no one see the movie of the week "Orphan Train" in 1979? I did when I was nine, watched it with my mom. Story was seared on my brain. After reading this book looked it up on utube and found it, watched it all over again. It's great!! Better then the book!!

Mariah Roze Debbie wrote: "Did no one see the movie of the week "Orphan Train" in 1979? I did when I was nine, watched it with my mom. Story was seared on my brain. After reading this book looked it up on utube and found it,..."

OMG! I didn't know there was movie! I will have to try to find it!

Leah You nailed it, Jules.