Liberty Ann Ireland's Reviews > Perilous Promises

Perilous Promises by Christi Williams

1519935
Sep 17, 2013

bookshelves: alpha-male-s, contemporary, review, romance, western-cowboys-theme, strong-heroine
Read in September, 2013

It seems much more recently but in 2004 my dad was diagnosed with cancer. He fought and won for three wonderful years but once we all heard the initial diagnosis, nothing ever was the same. Two years ago, my mother-in-law was diagnosed with breast cancer. She is still fighting and winning but as her family has tried to adapt and adjust, we have all made time to be with her as much as possible. Bottom line: Cancer is terrifying for the patient AND those who love them.

Adapting to the new 'normal' takes time and patience. In this story, no one deals with that fear well - not Perris who runs before she can become a burden or be 'unwanted' and not her physically strong and assertive husband Noah who with good intent becomes dense and overbearing.

I loved the way the author brought clearly to the surface all of the feelings of terror, loss, mortality and rage that cancer patients feel. Everyone reacts differently. Perris reacted by pushing others away and recreating her life so there was no one to lean on, no one to need her and she could have her dream job, being strong and self-supporting. There were times where Perris was acting like a brat but I imagine some of that is understandable. Eventually, when something happens with a scary protester, she finally runs to her ex-husband for the first time in 5 years. Of course, the story and events do not end there and it still takes time for Perris, Noah and everyone who loves her to come to grips with it all and work out the kinks. Yes, there is a HEA but you will have to read the book to experience how they get there. *wink*

I really want to applaud Christi Williams for including such a painful and pertinent subject (breast cancer) in this story. That is huge, especially for a Romance book and yet how many women would flock to this story because they can relate? And how many of us would welcome the inspiration we can find in Perris and her men? Kudos Christi!

There were a few times that the books tempo slowed a bit more than I would have liked and it helps if you have an interest in the Hawk Springs, Wyoming area and the lifestyle and land there. I will be on the look out for more of the Hawk Springs Romances personally and would think that Contemporary Western Romance lovers, women who have survived breast cancer and their loved ones would enjoy this book.

**4 STARS**

**NOTE: I received this book in exchange for my honest and unbiased review. All opinions are my own and no further compensation was received.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perilous Promises.

09/17/2013 marked as: to-read