Christine's Reviews > All-Star Superman, Vol. 2

All-Star Superman, Vol. 2 by Grant Morrison

F 50x66
Sep 22, 2009

bookshelves: graphic-novels, superheroes
Recommended for: Superman fans, comics fans
Read in June, 2009

This was just as amazing as the first volume of All Star Superman. It's just as jam-packed with quirky, imaginative scenarios, and its scenes range from being whimsical to achingly poignant. I read most of this on a bus and had to stop several times because I kept tearing up. In a weird way, this reminded me of The Little Prince—it's idealistic, it frequently borders on being surreal, and the way the storyline eventually wraps up has the same transcendent quality that The Little Prince's ending does. Morrison does a fantastic job of distilling the essence of what makes Superman well, super, and portraying him as a symbol of hope, inspiration, and the embodiment of the human spirit's will to rise above adversity. Parts of it went over my head because (I got the feeling at least) this volume is pretty strongly tied into the first one—which is good, except it's been a long time since I read the first volume. Some day I will have to read both of them back to back—and they are definitely worth reading again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All-Star Superman, Vol. 2.