Elizabeth "Liza"'s Reviews > The Darkest Part

The Darkest Part by Trisha Wolfe

3190342

bookshelves: blog-tour, contemporary, romance, stand-alone, older-ya, own, ebook

When I read the synopsis for this book I thought I was embarking in a great ghost story. Instead I found myself reading of love, loss, heartbreak and redemption. It was indeed a great read.

The beginning of The Darkest Part finds Sam in very bad shape, both physically and emotionally, dealing with the aftermath of Tyler’s death months prior. She has not find a way to more on and still hangs on to Tyler and their planned future together. She has pushed everyone out and rejected everyone’s help, and lives hanging on with both hands to his memories. Enter Holden, Tyler’s older brother, which shares a past with Sam and a very painful one with Tyler.

Sam and Holden are both artists, volatile and dealing with loss in different ways. The reason that I didn’t give the book an A is due to Sam’s whining. Yes, I know that she had been through a lot, but all the back and forth going on in her mind was aggravating. I would have read Tyler’s diary in one sitting and get it over with. A lot of angst could have been saved.

The plot is complicated by the Mark’s brothers past and their insistence of keeping it hidden. I didn’t expect the ending thus it was well executed. I always like to read about road trips and this one is momentous for Sam and Holden. They find a lot about themselves, about the past and about each other. The characterization is well executed and the writing is flawless.

I am glad that Sam came to the realization that she needed help, that true love can be experienced more than once in a lifetime and that it was okay to let go. I am likely glad that Holden came clean and found a way to deal with his demons and let his true self come through.

Overall, The Darkest Part is a very good addition to the New Adult genre. I really enjoy the story and also the ending. Please be aware that there is a lot of language, sexual references, use of substances, and explicit sex scenes; definitely for the older reader.

About the cover: I really like this cover. I life the subtle contrast of colors, the play on the dark and light theme and how the tree (every significant throughout) is portrait in the font.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Part.

September 16, 2013 – Started Reading