Lara's Reviews > Eating Animals

Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer

Sep 22, 2009

bookshelves: food, 2009, own
Recommended for: everyone who eats

I knew this book would force me to face my own unresolved feelings about eating meat, my own wishy-washy commitment. I didn't know that it would affect me so profoundly, or make me think more than anything I've read in years. Much was not new information, but it's information I haven't faced with adult concerns and consumer influence. Halfway through I decided there'd be no more meat in my house. Like Foer, I've been an on-again, off-again vegetarian (more correctly pescatarian) since the age of twelve. (Really more of an "on" with a dimmer switch to "off" over the last twenty years) During the cow chapter I broke down and cried. At the end I felt both despair and hope. Despair that factory farming is another cog in the giant maleficent machine controlled by billion-dollar corporations. Hope that I have the power to make a different choice.

What's important about this book is its renewal of the subject. Vegetarianism has become so mainstream that we've stopped talking about it. I used to be attacked and questioned, and I used to have answers. I was a much better vegetarian when I was twelve, for the same reason I was a better piano player: practice.

This book is beautiful, horrifying, fair and difficult. Its influence is already far-reaching: just read some of the other reviews or the comments on the book's website. Jonathan Safran Foer is my new hero.

If you're at all interested in altering your eating and purchasing habits for the good of animals, the environment, your health or conscience, just read it.

I'm going to buy my own copy, so I don't fall into "brutal forgetting" again. I'm going to make changes, and while they may be small and personal, I'm no longer going to "do nothing because I can't do everything."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eating Animals.

September 22, 2009 – Shelved
Started Reading
November 23, 2009 – Shelved as: food
November 23, 2009 – Finished Reading
November 24, 2009 – Shelved as: 2009
January 4, 2010 – Shelved as: own

Rachel Hurray for you, Lara!