Eli's Reviews > Lock and Key

Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen

it was ok

Man. This book had the potential, synopsis-wise, to be my favorite Dessen book by far. Ruby had exactly the right character--the character, the stubbornness, the scarring, that I feel that Remy should have embodied. Ruby's story was tragic. I'm beginning to realize that Dessen's more tragic stories tend to appeal to me more. The synopsis of her other books just annoy me.
This turned out to be the most boring book that I've ever read by this author, which is unusual because normally--she's pretty good with keeping that soft, slow, comfortable contemporary pace going.

You know, when I read HOW TO SAY GOODBYE IN ROBOT--especially the ending--I was amazed. And after I read it, I just stared off into space, unable to do anything else, for a pretty long time. And while the ending didn't necessarily seem wrong to me, and while I actually liked it a lot, I couldn't help feeling like I wanted things to be slightly different.

(view spoiler)

I realize now, seeing the ending of this book, that I didn't fully appreciate Natalie Standiford's genius when it came to not changing that ending. (view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

Up until the ending, and despite the pacing, I actually did like this book. Most of it had the potential to become my favorite Dessen book, it was just that end half that really got me. I do have to say that I appreciate Ruby's journey though, and her character was great for this book.

Like some of Dessen's earlier novels, this book doesn't embody the romance theme as much--but that's fine. My expectations were a little thrown off because of my experiences with Dessen's earlier books, but I guess not. A fairly good read, but the first of Dessen's novels that I recommend you proceed with caution. 2 stars.

this review and more on my blog: http://rea1itylapse.wordpress.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lock and Key.

Finished Reading