Angela's Reviews > Meat

Meat by Joseph D'Lacey

Sep 21, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: horror, bookring

** spoiler alert ** I have a lot of thoughts on this book -- not your usual horror --

The book starts out straight horror - lots of gore -- and I re-read some passages to make sure what D'Lacey was writing was what I was understanding -- and YEP...Meat is people. They call them "The Chosen", but make no doubts - they are people. And my favorite - OMG scene is the tea party. just ew.

As the story progresses, it changes from gross out horror, to more psychological horror. I started thinking about things more, and wondering about where it was going. The townsfolke start to have more issues with health, and there are a few who start to wonder about their religion, and where their meat comes from.

Overall, a very good read. It slowed down for me toward the end, but then the end picked it back up again. There is no mention of ANY other animals besides humans -- no dogs, cats, cows...nothing, and yet you get the feeling this is the future of OUR world. So, what has happened? you don't get to know, but I am pretty sure it doesn't matter. Life has degenerated quite a bit by the time the tale starts.

An intriguing read. And something I would recommend to most of my friends. (I have a few who would be too squeamish for this book)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meat.