Laura's Reviews > Countering His Claim

Countering His Claim by Rachel Bailey

Countering his claim was a very satisfying read. Let me count all the great things about this story. Della, the doctor heroine, and Luke, the entrepreneur hero, are engaging- I wanted them to find their happy ending. Of course, it wasn’t clear how they were going to do this, given their nicely opposed goals! They’ve each inherited half of a cruise ship. Luke, the nephew of the deceased owner, expected to inherit it all and had plans to anchor it and run it as a hotel. Della, the ship’s doctor, convinces Luke, our smoldering hero, to spend time appreciating the ship as it cruises. We learn at just the right pace what motivates the heroine, making her independent and eager to rely only on herself, why she loves cruising and how she is selling herself short... The hero has his own challenges, not quite as daunting as Della’s, but enough when combined with his suspicions about the split inheritance, to give the book great tension. I think I’m not going to write a spoiler. Instead, I want to say that the book is sweet and hot, not at all raunchy. The adventures shipboard are lovely- I've not taken a cruise and the author made the activities and excursions sound great. I re-read the ending of the book from that black moment when Della leaves the ship, convinced they cannot find a way forward until Luke lures her back. It’s great. What a deft touch this author has.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Countering His Claim.

Started Reading