Kristin's Reviews > The Necromancer's House

The Necromancer's House by Christopher Buehlman

20976887

liked it
bookshelves: 2014-reads

Andrew Blankenship is a warlock able to communicate with the dead through VHS (he hasn't quite figured out digital yet). He also has a past that involves having stolen books filled with Russian magic from the old crone, Baba Yaga, while in the former Soviet Union. Too bad for him, Baba Yaga is coming...

There were aspects of this book that I loved. The characters were vividly portrayed, each with his or her own strengths, flaws, and quirks. There were bits of the unexpected, like Andrew's house servant, a wicker man with the salted heart of a dog and a head made of a framed Salvador Dali painting. The spells that the characters used throughout the book were unique; one of my favorites includes a very good reason to leave the house the same way you came in. I also liked the idea that while some people were "luminous," it wasn't necessary to be able to do magic; determined, yet non-luminous, individuals could also learn magic.

However, it took me a while to get into this one. While the characters were well-developed, the storyline itself didn't really seem to go anywhere for a good portion of the book. Everything felt a bit disjointed. We were given little bits and pieces, jumping around in both time period and location, in very short chapters (usually 1-4 pages), which kept the story from really flowing. I enjoyed the individual chapters as they were written, but as a whole, they did very little to build suspense. It eventually came together, but that was well over halfway through. The ending was terrific, though.

I borrowed this from a Goodreads buddy who won it in a giveaway. I'd definitely be willing to give the author's other books a go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Necromancer's House.

September 14, 2013 – Shelved