Kev's Reviews > Difference and Repetition

Difference and Repetition by Gilles Deleuze

Sep 20, 2009

bookshelves: ancient-cultures, christian-theology, philosophy, 10-top-books-of-my-10-000, science
Read from September 04 to October 31, 2009 — I own a copy

I'm not finished yet but I have a few observations.

Deleuze is the first post-modern continental philosopher to do competent math, science (physics and biology), theology and philosophy that it has been my pleasure to read since college.

This book is momentous. He gives a philosophic basis for chaotic complexity that is both dexterous and sublime. This is the most important work of the 20th century in humble opinion.

Superficiality would dictate that difference and repetition have no truck except glancingly with each other. This couldn't be further from the truth. Not only are they related. They are constitutive of each other. The implication of this are far-flung and far-reaching.

My whole worldview and faith are altered. Wonderful.

In examining repetition beyond the superficial generalities we come to realize difference is the interiority of repetition and repetition is the exteriority of difference. Difference in embedded in repetition for itself. Repetition results in difference expressed in itself. So what might have seemed to be mutually exclusive Deleuze teaches us is really interdependant and interrealated. Shocking and exciting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Difference and Repetition.

10/07/2016 marked as: read