ᴥ Irena ᴥ's Reviews > The Island of Dr. Moreau

The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells

5252054

bookshelves: classics, science-fiction, horror

'What could it all mean? A locked enclosure on a lonely island, a notorious vivisector, and these crippled and distorted men?'
This is the actual plot without any details. The details make this a very disturbing story. I forgot just how disturbing.
It is interesting how this was an adventure when I first read it. Not a happy one, but still an adventure before anything else. Now, it is a horror story.

However you choose to see it, it will still be a horrifying account of Prendick's stay on the island.
The strongest and, of course, the most disturbing part of the story is Moreau's explanation of his work. The fact that he talks about it as if pain and suffering don't matter, makes it even worse. Combine that with the sounds of a tortured animal day after day and you'll get it.
'This time I will burn out all the animal.'
I felt sorry for most of his subjects, but there is something simply disgusting about pigs and hyenas that sickened me every time they appeared.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Island of Dr. Moreau.

September 14, 2013 – Shelved