Moira Russell's Reviews > Men We Reaped

Men We Reaped by Jesmyn Ward

Gorgeous and heartrending. One of the best-written books I've read in a long, long time.

(ETA I just told Kris: "That is one holy shit gorgeous book, and at the same time I don't think I've ever read a book which showed so unrelentingly what it's like to live in the modern apartheid of US racism. It reminded me of James Baldwin and "Araby." Wow. Give her a prize. Give her all the prizes. Shit, give her Jonathan Franzen's house while we're at it.")

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Men We Reaped.

September 14, 2013 – Shelved
September 14, 2013 – Shelved as: amazon-wishlist
September 17, 2013 – Started Reading
September 17, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
September 17, 2013 –
20.0% "Wow, this is amazing."
September 17, 2013 –
20.0% "'There was no room for error in disciplining my brother, my father thought, because my brother was a boy. A son. A child who would be harder pressed to be a fighter, even more than the girl who'd been born early with the strong heart. My brother would have to be stronger than that. My brother would have to grow up and be a Black man in the South. My brother would have to fight in ways that I would not.'"
September 17, 2013 –
45.0% "'The bass from the club called out, and the bass from the cars answered.' Her writing is just so damned good."
September 17, 2013 –
50.0% "'....I wondered if we were courting death: If we weren't, why did he keep following us, insistently, persistently, pulling us to him one by one?'"
September 18, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

rachel I am DYING to read this book. Thank you for reminding me to put it on hold at the library.

message 2: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie I need to put this on my list.

Lucy Out of interest then...why four stars?