Paul's Reviews > Cannibalism, Headhunting and Human Sacrifice in North America

Cannibalism, Headhunting and Human Sacrifice in North America by George F. Feldman

Recommended for: independent thinkers

This book is extremely interesting because it breaks away from the conventional treatment of the period when Europeans were taking over the New World and the time before the Europeans set foot in the Americas.

Author Feldman throws a monkey wrench into the fantasy that all was peaceful and lovely before the bearded beasts from across the Atlantic showed up. The stories Feldman tells illustrate a time (before and after the Europeans arrived) when (like Hobbes's description of the Dark Ages) life was nasty, brutish and short.

Feldman did painstaking research before he locked horns with the professional historians who had already described these times as placid, and the fruits of that research are obvious to reader of his book.

This book is not for everyone, only for those who want a true and accurate depiction of the Indian tribes and nations and of the Europeans who conquered them. If you'd rather not read a book that involves cannibalism, headhunting, and gruesome torture, then something like "Little House on the Prairie" might be a better read for you.

But for me, my hat is off to Feldman, and he has my congratulations on a job well done. All I want to know is, "When does your next book come out?"

-- Paul

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cannibalism, Headhunting and Human Sacrifice in North America.

Started Reading