Alexa's Reviews > Phoenix Overture

Phoenix Overture by Jodi Meadows

bookshelves: read-in-2013, fave-young-adult

Let me begin this review by warning you all that I'm supremely biased when it comes to the Newsoul series, as you can tell from my reviews of Incarnate and Asunder. It's phenomenally written, incredibly inventive, and Jodi Meadows has created a boy that I absolutely adore named Sam. It is so not a surprise then that I adored Phoenix Overture, in spite of the fact that it's (1) short and (2) set in Sam's life before he met Ana.

In my notes, I simply wrote, "GOD, I ADORE SAM." It's basically the entire reason that this novella worked for me. I love Sam, so it made my novella purchase worth it just to learn more about him. Readers get a glimpse into his past, including his relationships then. He and his mother had a strong connection because of their musical abilities, while he and his father didn't exactly see eye to eye on his usefulness. And then, there's his brother Fayden, who I initially didn't like, but ended up really loving, and also Cris, who other fans might recall from the previous books in the series. Each of these people contributed greatly towards making Sam who he is when Ana meets him, and just thinking about that made the story even more interesting.

Phoenix Overture, even though it reads as a prequel novella, is actually better read after the first two books in this series. By then, readers will be invested in Sam and will enjoy this look into his past life as much as I did. Jodi Meadows weaves a very strong tale in a short amount of pages, and I look forward to seeing what happens next to Sam and Ana in Infinite, the final book in the Newsoul series.

(originally posted on the blog)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Phoenix Overture.

September 13, 2013 – Shelved