Dianne's Reviews > Salvage the Bones

Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward

bookshelves: best-of-2016

A gritty, tough story about a scrappy family living in poverty in the Gulf Coast of Mississippi in a twelve day period encompassing the landfall of Hurricane Katrina. The bleakness of their plight is juxtaposed with hauntingly beautiful prose that is almost poetry. I have a full-fledged author crush on Jesmyn Ward - this woman has supernatural powers. No one else writes like her!

Be prepared for content that may make you cringe, including graphic accounts of dog-fighting. It is essential to this story, though, and if you can hang with it, you will be rewarded with a rich reading experience you won't soon forget.

This was a 5 for me until the last few chapters. I thought the book lost steam at the end a little; I was expecting a powerful and gut wrenching conclusion, but it ended much more softly that I anticipated. A 4.5 for sure - if you haven't read this yet and are a fan of strong storytelling and writing so luscious it is almost a character, do pick this one up. Loved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Salvage the Bones.

September 13, 2013 – Shelved
February 15, 2016 –
page 228
87.36% "Uh oh......."
February 16, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Candi (new) - added it

Candi Great review, Dianne. I have not read this author before and this sounds really good. Prose like poetry often appeals to me. Thanks - I'm adding it!

Dianne Thanks. I loved her "Men We Reap," too. Hope you enjoy it, Candi!

Claire McAlpine Just found a copy of this while reorganising my shelves, your review is good timing for me!

Dianne Claire wrote: "Just found a copy of this while reorganising my shelves, your review is good timing for me!"

Ooh, don't you love it when you uncover a surprise like that?

Claire McAlpine Dianne wrote: "Claire wrote: "Just found a copy of this while reorganising my shelves, your review is good timing for me!"

Ooh, don't you love it when you uncover a surprise like that?"

Yes, so thank you!

Angela M Awesome review, Dianne . I loved this one too .

Dianne Angela M wrote: "Awesome review, Dianne . I loved this one too ."

Thanks, Angela!