Arlene's Reviews > Going Bovine

Going Bovine by Libba Bray

bookshelves: read-2009, young-adult, faeries, favorites, time-travel

Going Bovine, by Libba Bray, is truly different from what I've ever read before. What a great book! Probably one of the most bizarre, yet sad books I've read in a long time.

I’ve been a fan of Bray for a couple years and truly enjoyed reading the Gemma Doyle Trilogy. Well, she does not disappoint with her novel Going Bovine. However, when I was reading this book, it didn’t feel like it was written by Bray, which in my opinion is the markings of a talented author who has an exceptional ability to pen a novel in a different voice.

Cameron Smith is a sixteen year old guy who simply wants to get through life with minimum effort coupled with zero expectations. All that changes when he’s given the news that he’s dying from Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease, a human form of mad cow. From that moment, he knows he wants to live more than anything. He ends up meeting a winged, loopy punk angel with a bad sugar habit, a death-obsessed, video-gaming dwarf and a yard gnome and they go on an adventure to both find a cure for Cam and save the world.

This is truly an exceptional book, as the main character was carefully developed and the storyline kept me wondering the whole time if I was reading about Cam’s hallucinations or the book took a turn into the fantasy realm. It’s funny, sarcastic, sad and emotionally driven. When I was getting to the end, I didn't want to finish because I had a feeling it would end sadly. This one will stay on my mind for some time as it pushed the boundaries of both fantasy and fiction. I truly enjoyed this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Bovine.

September 19, 2009 – Shelved
October 6, 2009 – Shelved as: read-2009
October 7, 2009 –
page 100
20.83% "I'm so hooked! It doesn't sound like Libba Bray's voice amazing. Cam is flippin hilarious with his snark. My new word is now arseholian. :)"
October 9, 2009 –
page 290
60.42% "Reality?? Fiction?? Fantasy?? Halucination?? I still don't know. What a great book!"
Started Reading