Dem's Reviews > The House at Riverton

The House at Riverton by Kate Morton

bookshelves: favorites
Read 2 times. Last read September 6, 2018 to September 13, 2018.

This is My guilty pleasure and my go to novel when I am in need of a little tender reading care. Something historical, set in a rambling period property on a country Estate, preferably in the middle of the English countryside, throw in a little mystery and intrigue and a few family hidden secrets and I am putty in the authors hands

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
–Mason Cooley

I began my fascination with Grand English Country Houses and Estates when I watched Upstairs Downstairs as a young girl with my mother and I still hold that fascination. No matter what country I visit I always manage to find a country Estate or period property where ghosts of people and the past stirs my imagination and my interest.

The House at Riverton tells the story of Grace Reeves who for decades has kept secret the truth of a poet's violent death by the lake at Riverton House in Oxfordshire. Now at the end of her life, 98 year-old Grace's memory is taken back and she remembers something from her past, a shocking secret threatens to emerge; something history has forgotten but Grace never could.

Kate Morton creates intriguing characters and weaves a powerful spell slowly and beautifully in this novel and I found the read both entertaining and satisfying.

A case of a little of what you fancy does you good. This is my second reading of this novel having read it the first time around in 2009 and happy to report I enjoyed it every bit as much on my second reading.

I think readers who enjoy authors such as Kristin Hannah or Diane Chamberlain may well enjoy Kate Morton novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House at Riverton.

Finished Reading
September 19, 2009 – Shelved
September 6, 2018 – Started Reading
September 13, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)

Lily S. I'm glad you enjoyed this book, I liked it as well.

message 2: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Thank you Lily. I really enjoyed it.

message 3: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Here’s to our guilty pleasures! Great review, Dem!

message 4: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Thank you Angela. 😊

message 5: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ I'm with you on old houses with secrets. Loved your review, Dem.

message 6: by Elyse (new) - added it

Elyse Walters Agree.... “here’s to our guilty pleasures”. A great review at that!
I’d enjoy this book myself - very much!!!!
Uplifting Dem!!!

Laurie I loved this book. An excellent synopsis of how this book makes one feel. I rarely revisit a book- but I think that I would enjoy rereading this one.

Candi Fantastic review, Dem! I really liked this book too :)

message 9: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Great review, Dem!

message 10: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Diane S ☔ wrote: "I'm with you on old houses with secrets. Loved your review, Dem."

Thanks Diane.

message 11: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Elyse wrote: "Agree.... “here’s to our guilty pleasures”. A great review at that!
I’d enjoy this book myself - very much!!!!
Uplifting Dem!!!"

Thank you Elyse.

message 12: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Laurie wrote: "I loved this book. An excellent synopsis of how this book makes one feel. I rarely revisit a book- but I think that I would enjoy rereading this one."

Thank you Laurie.

message 13: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Sharon wrote: "Great review, Dem!"

Candi wrote: "Fantastic review, Dem! I really liked this book too :)"

Thank you Candi and Sharon.

message 14: by Pam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pam Walter Sounds good to me. I just reserved it from my library!

Jeannie Great review, I need to read this one again someday too.

message 16: by Rita (new) - added it

Rita Wonderful review! I was in a buddy read of this before I ended up in the hospital because of the drug interaction with a medication called Lyrica. I have it in my put aside for now shelf and definitely plan to get back to it.

message 17: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Pam wrote: "Sounds good to me. I just reserved it from my library!"

Hope you like it Pam.

message 18: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Jeannie wrote: "Great review, I need to read this one again someday too."

Thanks Jeannie.

message 19: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Rita wrote: "Wonderful review! I was in a buddy read of this before I ended up in the hospital because of the drug interaction with a medication called Lyrica. I have it in my put aside for now shelf and defini..."

Thank you Rita. Hope you have recovered and happy reading Rita.

Jaline Fabulous review, Dem! I really enjoyed this one, too!

message 21: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Jaline wrote: "Fabulous review, Dem! I really enjoyed this one, too!"

Thank you Jaline.

Rosanna Moss I Love Kate Morton's books - they have a 'feel good' factor in them

message 23: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars