Amelia Elizabeth's Reviews > The Mine

The Mine by John A. Heldt

Would you walk into an abandoned mine? If so, what would you expect to find? Would to expect to find a weird glowing blue light, find yourself walking out of the mine into the past, find yourself becoming friends with your grandmother, or how about finding the love of your life?

Joel Smith is the kind of person to walk into an abandoned mine. He didn't expect any thing out of the ordinary, but yet it all happened. He found himself back in 1941, and in a circle of young friends that included the woman who would become his grandmother. Joel is fortunate enough to know quite a bit about the history, it helps him adjust to his new surroundings. Besides finding a place for himself, Joel finds the woman who could very well be the love of his life.

Things aren't so easy for Joel. Faced with the knowledge of the future does Joel risk changing that future by sharing information. When he finds an opportunity to return to his own time, does he risk it? What if it doesn't work? Can he leave behind the love of his life?

If these questions intrigued you, then you have to read this novel. It was a fun read and I really enjoyed the characters and the story. I started a similar story years ago, similar in that there is a person, a mine, and a trip to the past. Seeing how John handled his character's journey and transition to the time period was what interested me to this story. I really like how he handled both and how he wrote an accurate description of how Joel adjusted. Well accurate in how I feel someone who found them selves almost 60 years in the past would adjust to that situation.

This was the first book in John's Northwest Passage series. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the books.

Originally Posted at Little Thoughts About Books

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mine.

September 12, 2013 – Started Reading