Teri Anderson's Reviews > Love Comes Softly

Sep 19, 2009

bookshelves: westerns
Recommended for: fans of Little House
Read in September, 2009

This is my first Janette Oke novel, and I plan to read more by her. This was a bit like Little House on the Prairie. Oke's prose style is simple and doesn't call attention to itself. The only things I found to be a little bit annoying were the bumpkin dialect she writes in for the dialogue, and how the characters are always drinking coffee-- as though the author were in a rut and couldn't decide what else to do with them! But the story is a good one, sweet and simple, and I'm looking forward to reading the rest in the series. It's a sweet contrast to other westerns that delve into immoral themes. Janette Oke brings us the Christian side of the frontier.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Comes Softly.

Quotes Teri Liked

Janette Oke
“The truth of God's love is not that He allows bad things to happen, it's his promise that he will be there with us--when they do.”
Janette Oke, Love Comes Softly

Janette Oke
“When you read you can have every adventure. In the pages of a book you can be anyone you ever dreamed of being... They can never tell you you're too young to slay the dragon -- because it all happens right here, where it's safe.”
Janette Oke, Love Comes Softly

08/23/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy My mother-in-law adores these books. I'll have to give them a try some time....

Teri Anderson They're good, clean reading. Simple and plain, but enjoyable.

Heidi I have found the Janette Oke books to be wonderful down to earth every day life stories that illustrate The goodness of God in the real life situations people encountered in the prairie days. Today our lifestyles may have changed but our heart needs are still the same I highly recommend Janette Oaks writings she clearly portrays how God can meet our needs no matter where we are in life. I definitely preferred the books over the movies the movies leave out so much of what Janette Oke was trying to say in her writings. I did really enjoy the movies but was disappointed in their content as I knew what the original storyline was through the books!

Teri Anderson So true! The books were definitely better. I'm relieved to find a romance book I can let my kids read, without worrying about what's in it, too.