karen's Reviews > Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed

Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed by Marc Blatte

Sep 19, 2009

so once upon a time a man came into my store and said "i love your tables! i want you to read my book!". and thats how you do it, kids: flatter me about something i care about, then make your request in the same breath. so i said "all right", still glowing with accolades. and when i take the arc home i look at it and im like "hip hop crime novel?? what have i gotten myself into??" and i prepared myself to be polite. but the preparation was unnecessary - although i do not read crime fiction (unless faux-victorian family mysteries count) and although i have zero relationship with the contemporary music scene (or any contemporary scene except the book-buying public scene and the nyc public transportation scene) it was a really fun read. its not something i would ever have picked up without guidance, simply because i stay away from the "10 books in a series trap" of genre fiction, but i learned a valuable lesson about taking risks and expanding horizons and accepting gifts from strangers. and you have all learned that i am a vain and malleable creature. dont abuse it. but do come praise my tables.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed.

Hambonebro
You are a riot! Through tears of laughter my wife Jeanne says she thinks it’s the best review I’ve ever gotten.

We just sold the film rights to a great writer/director.
I’ll keep you posted.

You keep us posted!

message 2: by karen (last edited Sep 19, 2009 08:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

karen people, take note: see how how has taken what he has learned about compliments and applied it once more?? head of the class!

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix A simply marvelous review.

karen five points.

message 5: by Félix (new)

Félix Nicely done.

karen good, good - but class, try to diversify... points will also be given for votes, baked goods, books, various services including aisle-clearing and customer-deflection, computer instruction, red panda breeding services - use your imagination.

message 7: by Jen (last edited Sep 19, 2009 09:47AM) (new)

Jen let us all praise karen.

And- one of my new secret wishes is to visit your store incognito and look at the tables. I will be taking notes and whispering into a tiny recorder. So, two hints.

karen duly noted.

and thank you, larry.

now i must go to work and tend those tables. jen can be substitute in my absence.

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen Behave. I will be taking names. Hall passes are only for red pandas who need to hump and save their future.

message 12: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Karen, the breadth of your intellect and bravery is staggering.

message 13: by Félix (last edited Sep 19, 2009 05:56PM) (new)

Félix Oooh, Stephen. Good one!

message 14: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Thank you Larry. I thought I might get a gold star. lol

karen wait - why am i brave? i am afraid of umbrellas, after all.

message 16: by Félix (new)

Félix Well, there is that, I guess. But at least you're honest and admit your fear.

karen its a public service - more people should be afraid of them. my eyes are very soft. like grapes. umbrellas are pointy, like thorns. therefore:

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Karen, you're the best at and cutest while being afraid of umbrellas. Can I borrow twenty bucks?

message 19: by Félix (new)

Félix karen wrote: "its a public service - more people should be afraid of them. my eyes are very soft. like grapes. umbrellas are pointy, like thorns. therefore:"

Makes perfect sense to me. You are just so clever with thoughts and words.

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel I read the title from your updates and I was overcome with emoton! I KNEW IT! I said--I SAID he was pushed! But mother said, "Don't be ridiculous," and switched off the lights.

karen wait, am i supposed to be paying for compliments now?? or am i giving off a mom-vibe?? this concerns me - i thought i was the one that would get all the twenty buckses. where my bribes at??

message 22: by Joshua Nomen-Mutatio (last edited Sep 21, 2009 07:36PM) (new)

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio karen wrote: "wait, am i supposed to be paying for compliments now?? or am i giving off a mom-vibe?? this concerns me - i thought i was the one that would get all the twenty buckses. where my bribes at??"

Haahaha. No. Remember that I'm a member of your Cult of Courtesy now, so I follow your commands pretty closely and literally:

"and thats how you do it, kids: flatter me about something i care about, then make your request in the same breath."

Plus, who the hell says their mom is cute? Guh-ross!

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel karen wrote: "wait, am i supposed to be paying for compliments now?? or am i giving off a mom-vibe?? this concerns me - i thought i was the one that would get all the twenty buckses. where my bribes at??"

Mom-vibe?? Don't you have to be a mom to give off a mom-vibe?

karen i dont think so. i think you just have to be nurturing. or bossy. mfso - sorry, i had already forgotten the beginning of this thread - i was weary from work. of course you may have twenty dollars, sheesh. be here in an hour. im sure it will be worth the plane ticket to get twenty dollars from woodside.

message 25: by Rachel (last edited Sep 20, 2009 09:52PM) (new)

Rachel Lol...there's always paypal...

karen does mfso accept paypal?

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio As much as I'd love to borrow the twenty bucks, let's just call that compliment a freebie.

karen thats how they get you....

message 29: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Lol! He'll collect later, I think. With interest tacked on, too. Sneaky mfso, the bunny is on to you!

message 30: by Félix (new)

Félix I take paypal.

message 31: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Not so fast, Larry! Have you complimented Karen?

karen hahaha!

message 33: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Oh! You have! Go get your money, Larry!

message 34: by Joshua Nomen-Mutatio (last edited Sep 21, 2009 07:27PM) (new)

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Yeah, I'm gonna get karen hooked on compliments, 'cause that's what I pedal. Soon she'll be stealing books from Barnes & Noble and "returning" them to Borders for store credit which she'll give to me for even a slightly kind word.

I've found the new crack. You'll be free-basin' my compliments in no time.

message 35: by Rachel (new)

Rachel I knew MFSO was sneaky...Karen! Build a wall! Build a wall! Build a wall! You're better than that!

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Yes, karen: you are better than that. (That'll be another 20, please.)

message 37: by Félix (new)

Félix SO MUCH better than that!

message 38: by Félix (new)

Félix Like the absolute BEST EVER!

message 39: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Karen spin around in a circle and say, "I won't give in, I won't give in, I won't give in!"

message 40: by Félix (new)

Félix Oh Karen you're so strong! And SMART!

message 41: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Think about it...if you do succumb, you owe everybody, including me, 20 bucks per compliment! But if you listen to my advice, you'll only owe me...

message 42: by Félix (new)

Félix And beautiful!! Did I mention beautiful, too?

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio This is like a bunch of crack dealers trying to share the same street corner. I'm backing outta the compliments-4-cash business. However, if anyone wants some real crack I do accept PayPal.

karen hahaahah its great that in this time of economic strife, you have all found ways to compensate. i dont know who told you i was the source of the cash, though... i was hoping for favors that were less monetary... like advice. or book recommendations ... or recipes... but i need the accolades.... just a taste, man...

message 45: by Félix (new)

Félix [image error]

message 46: by Félix (last edited Sep 21, 2009 07:44PM) (new)

Félix Just a taste. Yup.

I don't want any money.

message 47: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Right...mmhmm...GIMME MAH MONEY!!!!

message 48: by Rachel (new)

Rachel *growls like a rabbit*

karen dear god. how can something so cute not be mine?

message 50: by Félix (new)

Félix If I could, I would make it yours, Karen.

« previous 1