Krystle's Reviews > Tattoo

Tattoo by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

it was ok

When you read this book, you’ll either love it or hate it, but you’ll probably love it more if you were a teenager or on the younger end.

The tone, writing, and voice of this book was very juvenile. I know that since it’s being told from the pov of the main protagonist I should allow for some leeway, and I did but there comes a point when you step past that boundary. It quickly became obnoxious and grating. Not to mention when Bailey came to some of her puzzle solving conclusions it’s like “Hello! That was an obvious duh! How did you not see that from the beginning?!”

I bought this book and its sequel because it involved fairies and the Sidhe court but whatever this novel had, the depth of the plot was only surface deep. What you see is what you get. It doesn’t progress into something further and is only detailed very lightly. I think it was used more in the aspect of making these characters seem more mysterious or exotic. Even the main four friends and other minor characters that were mentioned in the book were very severely stereotyped into the high school “classes” which annoyed me to no end.

But despite what I said, the writing is simple and quick to read through. I think I got through half the book in about an hour. I did like that lady who showed up in the beginning and at the end though. I’m hoping the sequel is much better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tattoo.

Started Reading