Colleen Wainwright's Reviews > Bad Behavior

Bad Behavior by Mary Gaitskill

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, short-stories, relationships

Mary Gaitskill goes there, all right.

The stories in this collection—her first, I think, if that's possible—deal with relationships, sex, and broken-down communications between couples of various sorts: husbands and wives; prostitutes and clients; and, most famously, bosses and employees, in "Secretary", which was vastly altered in the movie version.

Really, it's all about people feeling isolated and less-than. And they are well-drawn studies. She's very insightful into the human condition, brutally frank, and a deft writer. Unfortunately, the end result is me, depressed, and not in a way where I felt enlightened or deeply touched. They were involving while I was reading, but not so much afterwards, whereas I can name several short-fiction writers (Russell Banks, Alice Munro, Frederick Barthelme) whose stories pierced me and left a hook in there. (She also seems far fonder of adverbs than I, but this could also be a heightened sensitivity on my part, due to a class I took recently.)

Look: I bought it for a buck at Out of the Closet, and read it all the way through. So she did her job. I guess it would be interesting to read her later work, to see how this clever young writer has matured.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bad Behavior.

Started Reading