Cait's Reviews > Wonder Woman: Land of the Dead

Wonder Woman by Greg Rucka

Sep 18, 2009

bookshelves: yay-for-libraries, comics, serial, series-dcu-comics, a-selection-of-comics-reviews, all-of-my-reviewed-books
Read in September, 2009

** spoiler alert ** This follows on from Eyes of the Gorgon, and everyone except Wonder Woman is freaking out about the loss of her vision. She teams up briefly with the Flash, nearly bites the head off a reporter, and then gets dragged into Athena's god-squabbles again. This time she descends into the underworld, which makes for extremely cool mythological art but lessens the opportunity for awesome fight scenes. (The fight with Zoom at the beginning is pretty short.) And, in properly self-righteous comic book fashion, she gets her vision back again because she doesn't ask for it.

I was annoyed at Wonder Girl at first -- it seemed like she was only tagging along to work up more angst about her dead boyfriend -- but then she too got some cool fight scenes and finally got to confront Ares and Zeus about her parentage. The art makes her look a lot younger than the Teen Titans art does, which threw me off a bit. Yes, Wonder Woman is very tall (several inches taller than Flash, for example), but she towers over Wonder Girl here.

On the other hand, the crass sexism of the older gods was really irritating outside of the text. Yes, we're supposed to be rooting for Athena, we get it. We don't need Hades referring to the goddesses as "that coven of shrews", accusing Ares of being "another cowering in fear of the women", and calling Wonder Woman "a whore for your goddess" to know he's going to lose.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder Woman.

09/18/2009 page 128