Matthew's Reviews > Consuming the Word: The New Testament and the Eucharist in the Early Church

Consuming the Word by Scott Hahn

Consuming the Word is the latest book from the awesome Scott Hahn. Years ago when I got serious about my faith, Scott's books have been a great help in increasing my love for Christ and His Church.

Dr. Hahn is a great scholar, yet his books are aimed for laymen. He has a gift of distilling difficult theological concepts into readable format. I have learned so much from his books. They are among my favourites.

The Lord's Supper opened up the mass to me in ways that I never heard before. Hail Holy Queen presented our Catholic teachings about the Blessed Virgin in a beautiful and fully biblical way.

This new book is no different. Consuming the Word is about the early Church and their relationship to the bible, the book that the Church produced. It makes it clear that the books of the bible are most at home when taken in the context of the liturgy.

"In the text of the New Testament, then, “New Testament” denotes not a text, but an action—not a document, but a sacrament."

"When at last the books were written, they described a Church already well established, with a developed ritual life. Indeed, it was in the midst of the Church’s liturgy that the first Christian congregations encountered the Scriptures of the Old Testament. It was for proclamation in the liturgy that the books of the New Testament were written"

I highly recommend this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Consuming the Word.

September 11, 2013 – Started Reading